Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

A day of recovery

Dear Friends and Family,
Since I last wrote this morning Nan has begun to improve. Her condition has been aided by several kinds of antibiotics which are broad spectrum. She had a rough morning, two different colostomy bags failed and the antics of the nurses trying to be clever were too much. nan finally told them to just watch as she did her bag correctly. When I left her a few minutes ago no afternoon fever came to call and she had two blankets on and was just comfortable. I'm praying that she will make it through the night without fever but it might be too soon for that to happen. By tomorrow evening the blood cultures will show if there is infection in the blood.

I went to bed this morning at 7:10 and kept the phone nearby. I was delighted to hear first from Jason at around 8, then my sister Sibyl from Ohio and then Art from Yellowstone National Park. At 8:30 I got up and showered and prepared for an appointment. I worked for a few hours and then loaded up to go back to see Nan. Before I attempted to drive back I sat in her chair and allowed myself a brief nap. I made a deposit, shot photos in the Bay, delivered work to Jean my writer and arrived at Nan's room around 3:45. Dana had been with nan all day long and Nikki and Keanna surprised us all with a visit. Nan became very antimated and enjoyed Keanna's visit. Keanna had a new princess phone from the Disney Store and enjoyed taking photos, taking calls and playing. When Nikki and Keanna left to go eat I walked them out planning to go to Oakland to shoot photos but instead decided to go eat with them. Great decision, loved the food, loved the company. Keanna ate a full plate of food designed for an adult. Then they went their way and I went back to see Nan and Dana. Dana was getting ready to leave to go home to rest and Nan was ready to sleep as well so I then headed to Oakland to take photos. That went well and then back to the hospital for a short last visit for the night. Nan was ready to go to sleep and her male nurse was on the ball this afternoon and evening. Got all her meds figured out and was very helpful. When I left tonight Nan had better skin tone, was talking more normal and was fully aware of what was going on. She is much better than 24 hours ago.

We thank God for His strange leading and for the events of this day.

We love you all, please pray for Nan's various health issues, that His will will be done.


tim and nan and dana


  • At 7:04 AM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Good Morning ~

    And I hope it is a good morning for you with a good night's rest behind you. May Nan continue to feel better, have a good nurse who knows about colostomy bags, fever staying down and feeling stronger.

    I just had quite an experience. We have a Piliated Wood pecker who comes to eat from our suet cake. They are a very large black wood pecker with a bright red topknot. Like Woody Woodpecker. This morning she brought her 2 babies. I was so excited to see the three of them out there. Then when mama flew away one of the babies flew straight into our glass door and broke his neck. I was so upset! Why? I was enjoying them so much!!! Now the mama probably won't bring the other one back because she thinks I killed her baby. Oh! here she is! She did come back. I just don't see the baby this time. They are such majestic looking birds.

    Do have a good day and a good week. We continue to hold you both up in prayer.

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

  • At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol. said…

    Hi Mustards,

    Glad to read that things are going better now. Hope You both had a restful night of sleep, Dana too!

    What Hospital are You in? Room & Phone Number please.

    Our Trip to Tahoe is hanging on the Road conditions having to do with the terrible fire that is raging up there right now . 160 or more Homes destroyed and they say as many as 500 more are still in harms way. Highway's 50 & 89 are both closed to east bound traffic. We will check Road conditions tomorrow morning before We attempt to drive up there. Not sure about Our Pre paid Hotel rooms, seems like they are using all avaliable hotel space for evacuees.

    We will continue in Prayer for You to get the infection located and under control.

    Love You ,

    Bob & Carrol.


Post a Comment

<< Home