Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Resting after a stress filled day

Dear Friends and Family,

I am blogging earlier than usual because I find myself unable to think clearly by the time I normally write to you. As I write from my office Nan is resting in her Sleep by Number bed directly above my ceiling. Our day started with her being sick which she has been a lot lately. I came down and worked and she was able to sleep some more but she called around 8 and I helped her come downstairs. We sipped hot drinks and in spite of nausea Nan got hers down OK. The doctor's office called and said that since her blood was down to 7.1 she needed a transfusion and they were arranging it. We knew that meant a trip to Concord to the hospital for cross and type, a simple blood draw to find matching blood. So after Julie, the wound care nurse finished installing a new sponge in the incision we left for the hospital. Now they are on the phone telling us we have to come back to give more blood due to the anti body in her blood and the transfusion will not take place tomorrow.

Well two hours have passed and we worked out a new arrangement. Terri, our visiting nurse is coming to our house at 6 in the morning to draw blood and will take it to the hospital lab on her way to the city. She is doing this out of the kindness of her heart, what a lady. This will save Nan a trip of over 3 hours riding to just give blood in Concord. Everyone involved, blood bank lady, charge nurse at the hospital and Terri worked hard to figure out a better plan. This really works!

Nan is resting and watching new shows for the season, is now getting her IV of Levoquin, then we will start the TPN again, her vacuum pump is making its little grunting noises which Moo moo the kitty loves. I just made her a toast with peanut butter and some chocolate milk so she could take Gleevec and Rapamune. She had just finished throwing up and thought she would have a short window of time that she might be able to eat. We also slipped in another IV zophram to help her along.

Sylvia is coming out mid morning tomorrow to be with Nan. Sylvia and her husband Steve have been special friends for many many years and Nan enjoys them very much. She looks forward to seeing Sylvia tomorrow and the long hours pass a little quicker.

Sharon got home safely to good old Texas and is resting up. Her visit will always be remembered. She helped us both in many different ways and on many different levels, emotionally, physically, spiritually and socially. Plus she pumped shopping money into our local economy and helped Nan do a lot of things. Thank you Sharon, we love you so much.

I'm still trying to get as much work accomplished as I can, I could sure use some more hours in the day so I could meet Nan's needs better and still get this pesky appraisal stuff done. Loree is a great help and takes the phones most of the time so I can work in longer blocks of time. We are hopping right now with work and potential work, some of it is tough, a 40 acre property on a lake sells in a little town of Wilton and we get the order, not an easy appraisal to do. Tomorrow I see a property in Daly City and then in Sacramento before my day is over. Rush, rush about. many times I forget to eat altogether and remember hours later. I only have a tiny twinge in my side where the kidney stone pain was, not sure what is happening but so far no more big episodes of pain. Just hope I am not damaging a kidney in the process.

We both want to thank you for remembering Nan in your prayers. We also ask that you remember Dr. Glovers family members tonight. Today was the service and I'm told it was a very fitting service of remembrance of this special man. He will always be missed and I think especially of Yvonne tonight, she has lost her precious father who was not only her parent but a great friend to she and George as well. Yvonne and George, we are praying that God will comfort you tonight.

We were told that several of Nan's high school friends might come and visit this Sabbath afternoon, however at this point we are not sure when she will be receiving the blood transfusion. Probably on friday but someone should call first. Bob and Carol had also mentioned making a visit, same thing, lets talk first to make sure she is here. How we love to see people, Pam had mentioned coming tonight but when she heard that Nan had just gotten home and went directly to bed Pam kindly decided to visit a little later in the week.

Loree told me that funds had arrived for Nan's recovery fund. nan and I want to thank you for your help. We hope to be able to find ways to repay each of you or to assist in causes you believe in when we are back more fully on our feet. For right now every dollar is a miracle and we appreciate the help.

So we send our love and ask that in your prayers you remember Nan's continual vomiting, the high volume of drainage from her incision and the pain and pressure of the vac. pump on her tummy. We know it is working and we are thankful for that. Also the lower back pain has lessened to some degree for which we are very thankful. In the quiet of my office I can think of many things to be thankful for and many concerns that need God's answers. Such is life and we treasure it.

love

tim and nan
ps Dana went to MD Anderson today and got news which she thinks is good. She starts work tomorrow so we may not get to see her for awhile, bummer. Who is going to train these kitties?

3 Comments:

  • At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim and Nan,
    I know life can feel very overwhelming! (I can relate to that from our experiences this summer.) It sometimes feels like our world is crashing down all around us and there's nothing we can do about it. At times like this we even question where God is in all of this. He is there and He is leading. It just isn't how WE had planned it. He will gently lead us through. We do tend to let ourselves get stressed out in the mean time. When we are physically and emotionally worn out and we keep pushing along our world can look very bleak. (Been there done that too!) Now for the hard/easy stuff ~ rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him. We need to lift each other up in prayer when the other one is weak. That's what the Christian family is all about.

    We're here for you (though many miles away) and we are lifting you both up in prayer daily. May you feel the peace of His presence around you today.

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    Life without stress that We all are enduring seems so far away from Our normal routine these days.

    We will call before We try to visit with You, Carrol starts Chemo again Monday so She needs to be up to Par as much as She can be. We have had company for the past 7 days and 6 days prior We were at Lake Tahoe so Nerves and stamina are wearing thin even though We did enjoy the time together with family & friends.

    We have other dear friends here in Lodi that are in a Life threatening battle with Post Lung Cancer Surgery & the complications that have resulted from that surgery.

    We will continue to lift you up in Prayer and ask that You do the same for us & Our dear friend Dick Wiech. and His Loving Wife Rosie, (Caregiver Supreme)He is still in Lodi hospital 3 weeks tomorrow since the surgery.

    Much Love ,

    Bob & Carrol.

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi troops,
    My employees were glad to see me today, such a surprise. They usually ask me how long I get to stay with Nan. They are a good work family, several are still attending the bible study that Rick holds once a week! What a miracle! As you have figured out, I love my brother above and beyond. He was sent to work with me by God himself, and I am so very thankful. Wouldn't exist without him!
    Was good to talk to you today, Nan, and I hope you and Sylvia had a good time. (Who is the card winner?) Wish I were there with you two, I'd show you how to really play. I called Sandra after I talked to you and she agreed to the rules we discussed.
    Remember that I love you both, but no where near as much as God does. Take one day at a time and remember who gives it to you.
    Love you all, Sharon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home