Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Nan makes gradual progress

Dear Family and Friends,

10:50, fatigue is setting in. Nan's colostomy bag broke at 4:30 this morning and after she changed it we slept until almost 8 when she asked me if I had a big day. I stumbled out of bed, showered and headed down to build a fire and do research for the day ahead. Later I went back up and helped her come down to a room which was 70 degrees and a warm recliner. She had a glass of cranberry juice on ice, took her pills and began to watch her shows, Rachael Ray and Bob Barker, Price is Right. I finished my research and other desk work and headed for San Pablo Dam Road, the GPS took me there using roads I would not have thought to use and it was quicker. Then on to lunch at Olive Garden of soup and salad, then to Vallejo to see a unit, then onward to Oakland, then back to Walnut Creek and then at Nan's request to Pleasanton to get avocado egg rolls from Cheesecake Factory. Then home, build a fire, bring Nan down and have a nice evening.
Nan says that she got the word today re: her blood work on monday, everything was within normal range, good news, we also heard from insurance that they don't want to cover the last day we were in the hospital since Nan was on TPN and stable at that point. Problem with their logic is, no TPN was available if we had gone home a day earlier, was not possible at all so tomorrow Nan will make her case with the insurance. Nan is moving slightly more stable now but sure enjoys having her feet rubbed with that special Marilyn lotion, great stuff from Mary kay. While I think we should be seeing more output from the kidneys at night and wish we were adding a bit of hydration Nan continues to do well.

I have been dealing with three days of dizzy spells when I put my head down or move too fast. However I seem to be better today. I spent quite a bit of time putting drops into each ear last night and more time this morning in the shower with a little device to force water to remove wax. I've seen no wax but I am better.

We have discovered the best oranges and are enjoying them so much. They are from a tree in Dr. Edwards yard and they are sweet, juicy and wonderful. Thank you Jim and Marti.

So our days are going better. I am gone for hours each day working and tomorrow is no exception. I will be going to ATwater for a 11 am appointment and then to Oakhurst to see a mobile home on an acre. That should be a blast. I had planned to go to Sonora but heard about the deep snow in places and my car is not that great plowing snow out of the way.

We are both looking forward to the weekend. Once again the mail box brought no money. Our financial crisis has deepened to the point that our business line will not allow call forwarding or long distance calls until sometime tomorrow. Just a few weeks ago we saw several checks every day in the mail but this has been a dry week. Tomorrow I will move most of the money from the recovery account to cover the monthly health insurance premium which is now about $1,100 plus. We are so thankful that we have the recovery account for just such purposes. Please join us in praying that God will shake the financial tree a bit our way.

We thank God for this good week for Nan, while weak she has enjoyed being home in her own bed with her beloved animals, eating food of her choice and doing pretty well.

Nikki is recovering from being sick, STeve had a sick day today and Keanna is better. Jason is in Dallas at a youth convention representing MBA and Jo continues to teach and grow, how exciting.

We send our love this evening and deepest gratitude for your help in so many ways over the past 9 months. They have been amazing, difficult, frightening and faith building, humbling and yet Nan is prospering, her incision wound is nearly healed and she is growing stronger incrementally each day.

love

tim and nan

2 Comments:

  • At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Mustards!

    For some reason I woke up wide awake awhile ago so I decided to check your blog. Good news this a.m. I'm glad the blood tests look good. What? no more mushroom soup? You mean there really are other varieties? Maybe you will get inspired by watching Rachel Ray and prepare one of her special 30 minute meals. She has some good ones! I'm glad you are getting a little stronger.

    Well, back to bed for a few more hours sleep ~ I hope! Have a great day and may there be checks in your mail box today.

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Mustards,

    We got My Sister at the Airport in Sacramento just fine and made it home to Lodi through all the 4:00 pm traffic in about 1 hour not too bad but nerve racking to say the least. I just don't do traffic real well any more.

    We will try to keep in touch with You over the weekend but will not be over to see You as we have our hands full with company for a few days.

    We continue to Pray for Nan's strength to increase and all of Her Health Issues to improve.

    Have a good weekend and know that an army of friends are Praying for You Both.

    Bob & Carrol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home