Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Nan goes to the doctor but not the hospital

Dear Family and Friends,
After having a fairly decent night we woke early, got Nan dressed, inserted Adavan, took Oxycontin and walked painfully to the van. When we got to the doctor's office Nan could hardly stand to step into the wheelchair but she did it in spite of the leg pain. After just a few minutes we were put into a room and they drew blood for a CBC. Then the doctor was there, we expected to be told to head to the hospital but the word hospital never came up. He examined Nan's foot and leg and decided to increase the lovenox from 60 to 100 mg for a while in case there might be a blood clot lurking in the left leg. Then he decided that due to the increased pain oxycontin should be increased to 40 mg morning and night instead of the present 30. We then talked about the nausea and he prescribed Marinol (Nan can now get high legally) and Reglan to try to find something which works for the nausea. WE already had some 100 mg lovenox shots at home and will order the rest next week. Longs did not have the Marinol today. I found out that of the 5 meds we now have available for nausea 4 can be used at the same time as each hits the problem from a different angle. Only Zophram and Kitril cannot be used at the same time. So we can use Adavan, Marinol, Zophram or Kitril and Reglan in an attempt to put a stop to the nausea and vomiting. I am about to give Nan her last antibiotic in the series. Lets hope, pray that with the antibiotic out of her system and good meds like REglan in her system her GI will begin to work properly again.
When we found out we were not going to have to go to hospital we decided to take a chance at something we thought was impossible before, we went home, I gave Nan Adavan and she slept while I loaded the motorhome with medical supplies, clothes, equipment. Then I loaded Nan in, the steps up are terrible, and we left for our trip, first stop to make a deposit at the bank, next stop to give Nan more adavan and go grocery shopping since I left a full box of food sitting in the kitchen and Loree had to come put it back into the frig. Next stop Jason and Jo's house. Yes on a whim and grabbing the chance we came down to see Jason and Jo for the weekend and to enjoy the shower for baby Timothy who is two months from arrival. Nan tolerated the trip reasonably well and is now sleeping soundly. Soon I will administer the antibiotic, the adavan, the TPN and then head to bed. We have a super soft mattress topper which allows Nan a very comfortable place to ride and rest. We have everything on board we need (I hope).
While with the doctor we also laid out a plan to work together to gather all the material we need to as for AMN107. As I suspected the doctor does not begin to have enough time to collect all the CDs and reports from the various places Nan has been treated, yet they are all needed if Nan is to receive the drug on a compassionate basis. So we work together collecting evidence and he will compile it and write the cover letter which may open the doors we need opened.
The doctor was very pleased with the lab reports and X ray taken on Wednesday, totally normal, no blockages, all levels in pretty good shape including Potassium, hemoglobin, white count, creatins. So while Nan feels lousy her numbers are pretty good overall. Makes no sense.
We had a call today from Travel Guard, they have denied our request that they pay the $730 we had to pay to get our luggage home, makes no sense at all and I argued and lost. But out of the conversation I found out they intend to reimburse us for the lost days at sea, we will be paid for 7 days of the 12 day cruise, that was wonderful news indeed. It will be more than the $730 we lost on the luggage shipping.
What a nice change in temperature when we passed Gilroy. We went from central AC in the motorhome to vent only and finally the heater on. We have a pleasant place to park next to their home with full hookups and we are cozy with our furnace going now.
I enjoyed talking to Art who is in Indio, he had the enjoyable task of removing Pidgeon droppings by the garbage can full off the roof of there home there, several hours on the roof with the pidgeons, sure sounds full.
Nikki and Keanna are here tonight as well, they love to play on the beach which is about 1/4 mile away, when you step out of the motorhome you can hear the surf, nice!
Well now its time to start my medical stuff and then sleep. Please pray for a breakthrough for Nan and the nausea, the pain in her thigh and leg and for her to begin to enjoy life again. Art is right, God sees things from a different place than we do.

Thank you to each of you for your help and support this week.


tim and nan


  • At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    Good morning and congratulations. What a happy day. Good test results, deposits for the bank and a baby shower for your namesake! Yahoo! Yipee! Oh,Happy Day!

    I didn't know that you were so well connected. Lots of friends for sure but a TV star. I had no idea. Please let us know when your TV star friend Art's episode of "Worlds Dirtiest Jobs" will air. I don't want to miss it. Imagine the excitement of Art battling garbage cans full of pidgeon poop perched high up on the roof. What drama! Can you get me an autographed picture?


  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Irene Wing said…

    Dear Nan,
    You never cease to amaze me! You are living your life as abundantly as possible. After your visit with your doctor yesterday, I would have gone home just happy knowing that I didn't have to go back into the hospital. However, you take it one step further and spontaneously go to Monterey for a weekend to be with your family. Wishing you wonderful memories and mimimal pain.

    Blessings and Love,

  • At 5:28 PM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Hi Tim and Nan,

    I hope your week end will be uneventful ~ except for the baby shower. Enjoy the cool ocean breezes, fresh air and a good time with family.

    We had a quiet day which we treasure. Roger had to sing for church, but other than that it was a relaxing day.

    We wish for you a good week with little pain or nausea. That new bed should help you get rid of the discomfort of lying on one spot for very long. With all those drugs you shouldn't care about much of anything.

    More love and prayers ~ Carol


Post a Comment

<< Home