Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Tests, more tests, blood arrives

Dear Family and Friends,

Nan is resting between tests and is back in her room trying to sleep between IV tower beepers and warnings. Her blood transfusion which started at 4 am this morning is just now completed. Probably the longest transfusion in recorded history and you know what, she is not happy about the time it took. Turns out our sweet traveling nurse applied Tenn standards in the rate of flow which is pretty slow compared to the normal standards of this hospital. When Nan raised the issue around 7 they moved the flow rate up. However when she was taken for her first test today where she got to drink wonderful barium they had to send a nurse along to monitor her vitals since she was still getting blood. She says the barium tastes like lemon and orange rinds mixed with too much sugar, does not sound good to me. Anyway that test is behind us now, they kept her drinking and then shot x rays every 15 minutes. We will find out the results later.

Well since I started this blog things have changed. Hospital Dr. came in and said subject to the results of the tests which he has not seen yet Nan can go home later this afternoon. Well that sort of took our breath away so now I need to get to Oakland and do my appraisals, go home an get the van and load the bed in the back and then come back for her highness. Nan is set to go for another test at 2 pm this afternoon which is about the time I need to leave for Oakland so I'll see her down to the test area and then head to Oakland.

Our roller coaster ride continues, we are very pleased to get to take Nan home yet are of course nervous about it. The last time she was able to be home for 8 hours. We will try to do better this time. At least the weather is pleasing today, nice temp and cool breezes.

Nan is doing well with all of this, at the moment she is sneaking ice chips, a no no for the next test. We had a nice call this morning, it was Michelle, Dr. Bertagnolli's, physician assistant just checking up on Nan and offering to provide anything we need from Boston. We were touched by her call and appreciate it very much.

When we got home Loree's daughters had created a welcome home sign on the garage door for Nan, it was so neat and colorful. We were almost drawn to tears to see it knowing how long we have been away. Thank you girls for your thoughtfulness.

My first appointment today didn't bother to let me know that the buyer had changed his mind and the deal was dead so the appointment was cancelled. Love those wasted moments!! Not worth getting upset over though, just move on.

Nan is looking forward to being able to eat after the next test. She has not been able to eat or drink since midnight and her appetite is certainly back big time. She is looking foward to sitting in her chair, playing with the doggie Starr, working the QVC magic and eating her own choice of food. I look forward to having her beside me as we sit on the deck watching the ducks and the sunset or watching the fish tank that STeve has in such beautiful condition.

Well I need to sign off now and get my actions going. We are sort of making this day up as we move along. So far there are no indications of what is causing Nan's problem but the results from the morning test and the test to come are yet to be made known.

Please keep us in your prayers. This has turned out to be a busy day after all.

We send our love and kind thoughts,

tim and nan


  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hang in there, you two, you are closer to home every day. Will be so happy for you both to know that you have returned to somewhat of a normal routine. Know I love you,


  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Roger and Carol said…

    Hi Tim and Nan,

    I really haven't forgotten you ~ honest!
    So glad you are headed home again. 8 hours has been good so far. Let's try for 24 this time. I'm sure it IS with mixed feelings that you leave the hospital. It is scary and exciting all at once. Yes, Nan, you are getting better when you start telling the nurses how to do your blood transfusions. I don't know anyone who has had as many as you. Why shouldn't you be an expert on the subject?

    This is our busy season and it has been just that. We are still getting leads on our property, but nothing definite as yet. In God's time to the person He wants to buy it... then the whole deal will flow smootly.

    Love and Prayers ~ Roger and Carol

  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    We hope this finds You at home and comfortable at last. Isn't this weather a thing of beauty. What a change from 4 days ago. It can stay like this as far as I'm concerned, I do not like the heat at all!

    As always we continue in Prayer for You both and We long for the time when We can sit down together in Our favorite place to eat Lunch. "Olive Garden".

    Have a good evening and many days to come.

    Love You,

    Bob & Carrol

  • At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It will be a great day when Nan is back home with her wonderful, loving family and familiar surroundings. Ron and I think about the two of you every day. Stay strong and optimistic. Good days are ahead.

    With love and faith,
    Marilyn Crawford

  • At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
    It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and see if you can find something. I found something and make
    and extra $900 a month!


Post a Comment

<< Home