Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Another day of recovery

Dear Friends, Family,

Nan just went up to bed and is waiting for me to come change her dressing. She had visits from both nurses this morning and got the one to change the dressing while she was here. I was jamming to get out two appraisals that lenders were anxious for. Although she had a bit of nausea and vomiting this morning for the most part she has had a good day. The first nurse came to put some draino in her PICC line to free it up so it can be used again. It had gotten pretty solid and we did not want to lose it. Her medical draino worked perfectly and we used it this evening to put in Zophram.

The second nurse came to try to relieve the pain from the nephrostomy dressing and was very successful. She was not sure why the burning but thinks some saline got inside along the tube. Anyway that is better now. Nan talked to several people on the phone during the day and had to move Sharons trip later since auditors have announced that they are coming the week she planned to be away. Since her adult day care business relys on federal and state monies the auditors have a lot of say. So she comes a little later than we had hoped for but we sure look forward to her visit. She and Nan will get into lots of trouble and that is a good thing.

My day was interesting. I came down at 6:30 and started work on two appraisals that were promised today. I made it with minutes to spare before leaving for Modesto and Medera, that was when my car failed three times in a row as I was leaving Stockton on the freeway. Finally I got the message and called VW of Modesto, frankly they were not that helpful and had no interest in making good on the $500 I had already paid them to fix this problem and they did not even get close to solving the problem. So I found that if I drove in 4th gear instead of 5th gear, kept the fan and AC off the car would go just fine. I drove from Stockton to Tracy in 4th gear and arrived hot and ready to answers. Tracy VW came through. They listened carefully to my description of the problem and thought they could solve it. I walked across the street to the rental car place and got another lovely Chevy without cruise, no power windows but the AC worked and it went fast down the road. By this time I had missed my first appointment and was getting late for the second. I called them both from the car and they were very kind and worked with me. I got home at 8 pm instead of the 5 I had planned for. Nikki and Keanna came to spend the early evening with Nan, made dinner and even coaxed her into some spaghetti. They were leaving as I drove up after my interesting day. Why did I insist on keeping the schedule going? it was a $900 day, well worth the rental car and extra time spent plus people are counting on me.

Nan slept from about 11:30 until 2:30 and then some more only getting up when Keanna popped into her room and said, Grammie lets go downstairs. It sounds like they had a nice time and Keanna got to play with the kitties again.

So Nan is a bit more pain free than yesterday, still has some nausea and some pain in her back, is eating some food and is moving about pretty well. I've been so busy that I have not had time to walk with her these last three days. Tomorrow we'll walk, we both enjoy that.

Would you believe I am tired this evening? Long day with no rest spots. mary had brought some wonderful pasta and I put it on ice and took it with me today, I was so glad, after each appointment I opened the container and had some pasta, wonderful, got me through the day, thanks Mary.

Thanks for your prayers on our behalf.

We look forward to the weekend so much so we can spend time together again.


tim and nan


  • At 5:32 AM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Hi Ya'll,
    It was a busy day for you, but sounds like a successful day for you both. Tim made his appointments ~ even tho late and Nan got some pain relief. Sorry Sharon's visit is delayed, but she will come ASAP.

    So glad Nan is gaining strength daily and having less vomiting and less pain. That has been our prayer for her.

    Enjoy a quiet week end and cherish the time you spend together.

    Love and prayers,

  • At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Job Nan. Keep moving forward. That's a bummer for you to have an unreliable car when you are trying to be a reliable person. Life.......:-/ :-) :-( has it's good and bad moments.
    Keep up your efforts.
    Pam :)

  • At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    Great to read that things are improving for Nan and also that the "Bug " is (hopefully) in "Good Hands".

    Any chance that We could meet at the Olive Garden for Sabbath Lunch? Maybe Sunday or Monday. Carrol goes in for chemo again on Tuesday so We will be down for the week till Sunday 10th.

    Glad to hear that there is less Pain and Nausea for Nan. We continue in Prayer for more and longer times of that "good" feeling.

    Have a good day and drive safe.

    We are expecting Carrol's Sister to be here on Tuesday, She is a big boost for Carrol during the Chemo time. They work word puzzles and play cards , this keeps Carrol alert and feeling less droopy.

    Much Love & Prayers,

    Bob & Carrol

  • At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I, too, and thankful for the Sabbath. The non rush routine is here. Dana & John are here for the week-end. They got in around 9:30 last nite. God heard our prayers, Nan, they got here in one piece and did no harm or danger to anyone else on the road! Sorry about the audit, I'll be there as soon as possible. Have a good, quiet, and restful day. I'll talk to you later this P.M.

    Love to all
    Sharon, Dana & Johnathan


Post a Comment

<< Home