Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Nan is resting in Mt Zion Hospital this evening

Dear Friends and Family,

Today did not turn out like Nan had carefully planned. I woke her up about 8:30, we did a dressing change, she dressed in her purple velour outfit and we finished packing and loaded the car. Its hard to think of everything one might need but we did pretty well. She had planned the day carefully and we started by picking up the results of the blood work in Antioch, then to Concord to the hospital where we picked up the CD of her Oct. CT scan, then to Mt Zion in SF to pick up the CD of the CT scan done at the end of November. Then to the doctors office and we arrived early, not that it mattered. We got there at 12:30 for a 1 pm appointment and ended up being taken to a room at around 4 pm. The waiting was very difficult for Nan. Usually during this time of the day she is either sitting in her comfy recliner or taking a nap. But here hour and after hour she sat in a chair in the waiting room. We were not alone and as the day progressed the tempers rose a bit. Not Nan, she stayed calm even though I know she hurt a lot.

We found Dr. Bergsland to be compassionate, very sharp in her questions and comments and before long she stated, I think I should admit you to the hospital right now. Nan was surprised and after praying this morning for God to control the day I felt it was the right thing. Health issues at present are: spiking fever several times a week, heart rate today was 137 resting, hemoglobin was 7.8, vomiting a couple times a day, nephrostomy tube insertion points oozing brown discharge, leaking is less but not stopped. She felt she needed to get a read on everything, a base line as it were and then start from there. She didn't even look at the CTscan yet, she said, what difference does that make today when Nan is facing these immediate issues. She sent us up to infusion and they started drawing blood, vial after vial of it and then they drew blood from her right arm. Later they took samples from both nephrostomy tubes. They are searching for possible infection, blood infection, anything that would explain hemoglobin dropping so fast, spiking temps, high creatines of 3.2. We are relieved that finally someone is taking the time to see if they can discovery what is causing Nan so much distress.

As I write past midnight my phone just rang, it was Nan who had just woken out of a sound sleep, said her room was warm and cozy, is receiving the first of two units of blood right now and is settled in for the night. How I hate to be away from her yet she is where she needs to be tonight. We think they are going to put off the work on the nephrostomies which was to be at 10 in the morning, put it off until at least thursday. Of course Nan is without her TPN this evening since they won't allow any TPN to come into the hospital from a source that is not under their control. I understand but that means Nan goes without.

We have talked to Jason, Jo and Nikki today as well as Sharon, Dana, Irene and I'm not sure who else. Once again we find ourselves at the hospital without cell phone chargers since we did not plan to stay and planned to be home tomorrow afternoon.

I wrote a detailed blog at about 8 pm this evening in the hospital room while Nan was resting. Then the land line I was hooked to clicked off and no matter what I did it would not let me connect again. I blew the next hour or so trying to make it work but to no avail finally giving up. I am not at the hotel Nan picked for tonight, nice, cozy and sort of looks like a bed and breakfast. Not the same without the first lady though.

When I wake in the morning the first thing I must do is write an appraisal and get it shipped out. Seems that some people are ready to move in, everyone just needs my appraisal, so I guess I will comply. The hotel has high speed internet which helps.

We are deeply grateful tonight for the good care Nan is getting today. We are also grateful for your prayers and for your concern and love. These are not easy times for our family. We treasure this lady so much and just want to see her prosper and recover fully. She is in God's hands every day and so far they have come through again and again.

My emotions are torn a bit, one day I raced around as fast as I could for 15 hours trying to get the data and inspections done for 4 appraisals spread over a 60 mile radius. Then today I sat with Nan doing nothing for over 4 hours, just watching her courage and convictions. Hard to adjust to each days reality.

Please remember Nan in your prayers as I will do as well. Doesn't the bible say the prayers of a righteous man (woman) will be a big help.

We send our love, Nan is in room 506B Mt Zion Hospital UCSF.


tim and nan


  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Gerry & Barb said…

    Hi Tim and Nan, We are sorry to hear you have to be in the hospital again, Nan, but then on the other hand we are happy to hear that you have someone who is going to try to get to the basics and find out what is wrong. Besides our prayers for you both we will include the doctor so she will have the knowledge to find the causes of your problems.
    You both have lots of determination and courage so keep it up and keep encouraging each other that brighter days are ahead.
    It's raining here today and since we just had the driest January on record, the rain is welcome! Our LSV group had an ice cream social yesterday and we had a great afternoon visiting and getting better acquainted. Gerry has been busy working on the Sacramento Train trip for Feb. 21; he has 74 signed up and paid. It will be an interesting day. We had a nice email from Mike saying they attended church and the potluck lunch "(yum yum)" and he was invited to meet with the building committee for his ideas on remodeling the social hall into a school for K-8th grades. He did on Monday evening and then stayed for prayer meeting -- 9 attended.
    Blessings and love to you both. Ger & Barbie

  • At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Roger and Carol said…

    Hi Tim and Nan,
    I'm not sure what happened to my comment from yesterday. It just didn't go through I guess.

    I know you hate being in the hospital but at least you started out with clean hair! Now that you have the new blood maybe you will begin to feel better. It sounds like you have an on the ball Dr.! This is good. At least she listens to you and wants to find out exactly what's going on.

    My daughter gave me some advice today... You have already learned it. "When you go to a doctor you tell them exactly why you are there and what you want them to do for you. That's the only way you are going to get what you want." You have done a great job of "getting what you want" through the past few years. Go for it girl!

    Our prayers are with you for comfort and for the doctor for wisdom. We look forward to a new update on today.

    Love and Prayers ~ Carol

  • At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    Lets make this a good "Short Stay" at the Hospital. We are hoping & Praying that the right things will be done to get Nan on the road to being Herself again . Sounds like there are some very competent People around her now and Good things will be the result of this move.

    Nice to get some rain , the ground is so dry and needing to be watered from the sky, not the garden hose.

    Have a restful Evening and keep us posted on events there.

    We will continue to Pray for good things for Nan.


    Bob & Carrol.


Post a Comment

<< Home