Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Setback

Dear Friends and Family,
We managed last night pretty well with only a few times of being up for meds, to empty bags, and to deal with pain. I went to our bed upstairs while nan slept in the family room. I placed the baby monitor next to her and turned my end up high so I could hear her breath or any movement. So I was able to hear anything that happened. I came down several times to help her. Then this morning I went to Tracy with Keanna and Nikki to Sabbath School. On our way back Dana called to say Nan was having a fit of shivering and shaking and by the time I got home she had a fever of 102.9. at the same moment I arrived Terry our nurse arrived to show me how to do the antibiotics. But when we got to Nan we found a big problem. Her urine bags were extremely tight and her colostomy bag had failed and broken. One urine bag also had leaked all over the bed. Terry took charge and gave Dana and me orders and we worked together and in a few minutes she was clean, had new linen, new gown, pain meds, antibiotics and was sleeping peacefully. Each hour the temperature came down about 1 degree until she was back to normal. She has been pretty much asleep every since with time to wake to see keanna and Nikki and to eat dinner. We have been watching the bags very carefully and dumped many times. It appears that the fluids in her tissues are beginning to drain out, we certainly hope so as her feet are in great pain from the extra fluid. If the hospital staff could see what they caused by the extra fluids in.
Dana has cooked up some seriously good food today and I'm stuffed to the walls. Mostly today while Nan slept in her hospital bed I slept in the chair nearby. And now I am looking forward to bed earlier tonight to rest up. I still don't feel well with limited dizzy spells whenever I bend forward. I hope it gets better soon.

Please pray that God will give Nan a night without fevers and that she can get stronger and more awake at least part of the time.

Our life is pretty challenging right now and I'm comforted by the calls I have received. nan even spoke to a couple people on the phone in between times of sleeping.

What will tomorrow bring? More hospital time?

So we send our love,

Tim and Nan and Dana

4 Comments:

  • At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't post here much; but Nan & Tim (both absolutely WONDERFUL people) I hope you both know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

    So many can learn so much that's good, from both of you.

    -Ken Schou ~ Long Island, NY

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Morning,

    You said you were going to bed early ~ 11:19? Your day sounded a bit scary! Angels come in different forms at times and your faithful nurse came to take control just at the right time. It sort of makes you feel like you can't leave her alone, doesn't it? It seems one cure causes another problem ~ dehydration/lots of hydration ~ hydration/fluid retention ~ fluid retention/pain. Now to discover the perfect balance. It's hard to know what to do.

    Tim we are concerned about your dizziness! Could it be that your breathing machine is putting too much pressure on your ears? Maybe it needs adjusting. How is your BP? Nan doesn't need for you to have a stroke. What would she do without her faithful nurse? You know more about her care than any health care person. Take care of you also!

    I assume since Nan was not feeling well yesterday that Carrol and Bob did not come...

    Busy, busy day today. Lots of people going out and coming in. Lesley will be one busy girl cleaning and I'll be doing piles of laundry. Roger will be filling in as needed. We'll make it! Want to buy a resort?

    Much love and continued prayers ~
    Carol

     
  • At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim and Nan,
    I am so sorry to hear Nan is having such difficult times. My heart and prayers go out to you daily for peace and healing.
    I think about our lunch in Hilo ever so often.I enjoyed the day with y'all and Richard and Linda so much.
    Tim, you are such a wonderful caregiver.
    You both are continually in my thoughts and prayers daily. I will put you on my prayer list at church today. Take care and stay strong.

    God Bless You Both,
    Betty A. - Corsicana, Texas

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    So sorry that We were not able to visit with You Yesterday, You sounded so distressed when You called Us about 1:00 or so We were 1/2 way to Tracy at the time. We Prayed that things would work out well for Nan and continued on to the Garden for lunch where We have had many good lunches together in the past. How We wished that You & Nan were there with Us.

    A great blessing indeed that Your Nurse was there at the time that You needed Her the most.

    We enjoyed a good evening with Our friends the Guptill's playing Games and planing for the up coming Band Concert in the Park on Wed 3rd, It will be an all "Sousa" Concert, good choice for the 4th of July time.

    Hope that You did have a good night of rest & healing. So many Prayers are going up on Your behalf You do indeed have a great circle of support around the country from so many different sources.

    After checking more closely on the calendar We have discovered that Carrol's Clinic Appointment is not till Monday the 9th, no wonder it seemed like We just finished with one. I guess You call that "Senior Moment" stuff. At least We did not drive down there and get in line to be told ,"come back next week". We along with several other regulars did that very thing about 6 months ago or so when We all arrived on a Monday for Our Monthly Visit only to find that the Office was closed because of a day off which they had notified Us all about but many of Us did not put it on Our calendars, so We all went Home and came back the next day. We did not bother to tell them how dumb We all had been. at least We had a nice early morning drive to Stockton.

    Love & Continued Prayers,

    Bob & Carrol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home