Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Monday morning

Dear Friends,

Nan is more awake this morning at least at times. Last night at about midnight she was really awake and we tried very hard to figure out what she wanted us to know. We never got it figured out and she was frustrated. Finally at 1:30 or 1.40 this morning she said I could go to the room so I slept for awhile. Our good friend from Rhode Island has driven up today to be with us, it is so wonderful to have her here.

Nan tried to use a page with the alphabet on it but could not lift her hand or finger long enough to select the next letter. There is a lot of discussion now about putting in a trachea. We are told it will help her be able to talk and yet they can manage her breathing so it sounds all good, minor procedure and some benefit. At this point a decision has not been made whether to take her to OR to do it or do it up here. I'm thinking it will probably be in OR where they can manage everything better.

I know it sounds like a broken record but we still need lower creatins, smarter kidneys doing a better job of pulling out toxins. We also need the liver to keep working better as it has been for the last couple days.

I got a nice email message this morning which I would like to share.
Hello Tim,
I heard a song this morning at church that was new to me. It's called "Your Grace Still Amazes Me." As I listened and saw the words on the screen, I couldn't help but think of Nan and all that God has done these past two weeks. The song really moved me to tears. I asked my pastor if I could borrow the CD. If you haven't heard the song, here are the lyrics that I found on a website http://www.lyricsdownload.com/phillips-craig-and-dean-your-grace-still-amazes-me-lyrics.html
However, I have copied and printed the lyrics here for your convenience
P TOP - PFR... - Phillips Craig And Dean Lyrics - Your Grace Still Amazes Me Lyrics
-My faithfull Father, enduring friend
your tender mercy is like a river with no wind
it overwhelms me covers my sin
each time i come into your presence I stand in wonder once again
(chorus)
your grace still amazes me
your love is still a mystery
each day i fall on my knees
'cause your grace still amazes me
your grace still amazes me
Oh patient savior, you make me whole
you are the author and the healer of my soul
what can i give you lord what can i say
i know there's no way to repay you only to offer you my praise
(chorus)
your grace still amazes me
your love is still a mystery
each day i fall on my knees
cause your grace still amazes me
your grace still amazes me
its deeper, its wider, its stronger, its higher
its deeper, its wider, its stronger, its higher
than anything my eyes can see
your grace still amazes me
your love is still a mystery
each day i fall on my kness
cause your grace still amazes me
your grace still amazes me
After all that happened with Nan this afternoon, I am even more deeply amazed at God's loving care. I certainly agree with you that God has a future purpose for Nan. How blessed we are because of His infinite love for all of us. Yes, we will continue to praise Him and acknowledge that all these developments are for His glory.
Please give Nan a gentle hand squeeze. We look forward to more improvements each day.
Love,
Irene Wing

How it touches our hearts to have such warm greetings and prayer reports from our friends, fellow GISTers and family. As I watch Nan just now and see her struggle to communicate my heart just goes out to her. This brave lady has endured just about everything and come through and I am soooooo proud of her in every way.

We will continue here to watch over her as much as humanly possible. She is moving her feet almost all the time, she has learned that moving the legs help prevent blood clots from forming and so she does it in her sleep and she is doing it now. She has a few minutes of awake time and then a few minutes of sleep. They took out the j line which allows dialysis this morning so if a decision is made to use the dialysis they will have to put it back in, they don't like to keep lines in that are not being used since they become a source of infection. She now has very few lines at this point. AT this moment she has a rest heart rate of 111, good blood pressure, lowering white count, excellent platlettes. She has been communicating with us all morning in and out. She moves her legs a lot and is very ready to get out of this bed. But not quite yet is our mantra to her.

Well I am going to send this out. We have weathered another crisis event and are back on track. Please keep the prayers going for her kidneys especially right now. Our hearts go out to you in appreciation.

with gratitude,

tim

5 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW, I got a little busy this weekend and have been trying to get to this website all day. Everything has slowed back down in the office so I have been able to see how Nan is doing. ALOT has happened. As always our prayers will continue for Nan. We are happy to have Keanna and Nikki home. Steve and Nate had done a moajor clean up at the house (Cleaned carpets and all) So it is ready for the tiny destructive Keanna. ha ha ha
    I am happy Nan keeps fighting and she is sucha stronge person. My prayers will be for her kidney's mostley. I wanted to call yesterday and wish you a happy fathers day but we got back from the beach so late I did not even get to call my dad. :( Bad daughter. So I hope you had a happy fathers day and we all look forward to when you and Nan are coming home.
    Lv,
    Pam :)

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Tim,
    Your updates are amazing! You do really have a great gift for describing all that you and Nan are experiencing together. Thank you so much for sharing these experiences with all of us and for keeping us all so informed, so that we can know of the tiny steps of Nan's recovery on a daily basis.
    Tell her that her aunt and uncle and her cousins in Houston love her so much and pray for her constantly!
    Barbara

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim,
    Thank you, thank you for your wonderful updates. As you described Nan's room yesterday, I could "see" her in my mind's eye. Your updates mean so much to those of us who care so deeply for Nan. Her fellow Gisters are fighting this battle for her on the spiritual side, and you and your family are helping to wage the war on the front lines. Nan is such a strong woman, I'm sure that she's experiencing great frustration at this time without a voice! She is a very lucky woman to have such a devoted husband. Your love for her is so clear in your writings, I just know that she feels every ounce of your presence. Take care of yourself if only just a little bit, Nan would not be happy if you got sick! May both of you rest and gain strength in God's most perfect love. Sending continuous prayers from OKC! God's blessings.
    Jani DeHart

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,
    Again we give thanks to the Lord for the progress that Nan has made in the last few hours. Prayers are being answered. We also have an answered prayer to be thankful for. Carrols Blood numbers were up this morning enough for the Chemo Clinic to say, " No Procrit Shot" for at least 3 more weeks. We give thanks for that result which We were praying for along with Our Prayers for Nan.

    We are baking in the good old San Joaquin Valley Heat, supposed to reach 100 today and for the next week it looks to be Hot. I guess that comes with summer time.

    Thank you so much Tim for Your detailed reports, Carrol says that You are becoming a real pro at Medical Terms and Reports. Coming from Her Nursing backround I would say that You have arrived !

    God Bless You both as We continue to Pray for improved Kidney & Heart Function , along with everything else.

    Bob & Carrol

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim:
    Sorry to hear about your short set back. Glad to hear Nan is doing better. talk to you later from Vegas
    Love and prayers
    Mary and Ann

     

Post a Comment

<< Home