Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Not right but not sure what to do about it!

Dear Family and Friends,

Nan is sleeping again after waking for vitals. I am not feeling good about her condition tonight at all. When I arrived this morning I found that she had very low blood pressure during the night and then had 1 mg of Dilatid for upper back and neck pain that was pretty intense. Her right eye was slightly drooping and her speach was slightly slurred. The eye continues to be slightly less open than her left eye and her speech continues to be sort of sleepy unless she works very hard at speaking clearly. She does not think anything is wrong at all, does not think her speech is different but saw the drooping eye in the mirror so admits that. The doctor did not notice anything wrong but said her magnessium and potassium were both way off normal. He ordered both and several hours later the bag of both mixed together was delivered and the nurse started it. We found out that her dressing was 36 hours old since it had been changed, when I changed it under the watchful eye of Carrol, a nurse of many years, we found it leaking and very green. She had me report it to the nurse who noted it in the file and for the doctors attention tomorrow. We carefully put a new wet to dry in place and Nan carefully taped it down, at least finally it was dry and updated. We are going to ask that the doctor write it to be changed twice a day from now on. The doctor told us that once they get the magnessium and potassium levels correct then Nan can go home. He also suggested that we have blood work done twice a week for the present time so we can quickly pick up if there is a problem in potassium or magnessium levels. We intend to ask him to contact home health to see if we can have some help at home for the first couple weeks, we also plan to ask for some help with physical therapy, I do a terrible job of motivating Nan to do exercises, walk, sit up and do those things which will build her up for her own independence. Mostly she wants to sleep and try to get well that way.

I am very frustrated tonight. I feel like there may be something not quite right with the slurred speech and the drooping eye, the low energy level and all. Yet I don't know who to turn to or what to do about it. I have told the nurses and they note it in the file. I'm going to try to stay here a little later than usual since I have the motorhome right here and go there anytime to sleep.

It has been so wonderful to have family and friends here today. This evening it was very hard to say good bye to Nikki and Keanna as they drove away and also earlier to say good bye to Joyce and Glen and even earlier to say good bye to Bob and Carrol. Yet everyone has to go home sometime. My heart begs for help from our loving heavenly Father, Nan has been through so much and continues to be experiencing hard times, I pray that God can help her turn a corner and help her start to feel better each day, stronger, healthier, happier.

Please ask Jesus for His help this evening, I don't know what to do but I sure feel like I should be doing something to help her before things get worse but no one else seems to notice that there is anything even wrong.

We send our love,

tim and nan

4 Comments:

  • At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim and Nan,

    My heart goes out to you as you have been through so much in the last 2 months. God has given you strength for each day and will continue to give you the strength you need for the days ahead. I know you must be frustrated. This hospital staff is not the same as Brigham and Women's Hospital, but you are home and near family and friends. This also brings healing of a different kind to you both. I'm so glad you had good visits with several special people yesterday.

    Please, don't take Nan home without arranging for extra help. I am surprised that they are not recommending a rehab hospital for awhile. She is still much too fragile to be on her own.

    Again I am praying that God will send his ministering angels to surround you with peace, patience, comfort and healing. Our love and prayers go out to you several times a day from NC. Both of my sisters' churches have been praying for Nan and they have never met her. Thousands of prayers are ascending daily in her behalf. Have faith that God hears and is answering according to His perfect will.

    We love you ~ Carol and Roger

     
  • At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Tim,

    My prayers are being lifted up for Nan and you too. Nan has been on my prayer list at church for weeks.You both have been through so much.
    I don't want to alarm you, but the symptoms you described that Nan has, sounds like it could be a stroke. But then again surely the nurse and the Dr. would recognize it if it is.

    Continue to keep your great faith because we know God is there with you.

    Take are my friends.
    God Bless You,
    Betty A. - Corsicana, Texas

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim ..

    I must ask. Have you been in touch with the Doctors at DFCI?

    -Ken Schou

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim,

    I'm sorry to hear that Nan is not getting better. If she is not willing to walk that means that she is not well at all. PLEASE DO NOT take her home without professional help. A rehab hospital will be the best.

    Art is out for a walk now, I'm hoping that the two of you talk this morning.

    Take care and rest whenever you can.

    Connie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home