Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Nan is an amazing lady!

Dear Friends and Family,

During the night I developed severe pain in my right side and eventually right back side. After hours of trying everything I could Nan decided that enough was enough and we were going to ER. I had planned to just sneak out and drive myself to Antioch but she was having none of it. So this sweet lady who had had such a tough day got up, dressed, carried her TPN and purse downstairs and drove me to the hospital. First time behind the wheel for about 4 months. She did great and while I was curled up in a tiny ball trying to find a more comfortable spot she drove. By the time we pulled up at ER my pain was getting less. I went in and she climbed in the rear of the Odyssey and went to bed and slept the entire time I was in ER, about 3 and 1/2 hours. After two hours I finally saw the doctor and she wanted me to stay for CT scan and blood work but since I was no longer hurting I checked myself out and we came home. By the time we got home I was hurting again and it got worse and worse. Good old kidney stone! Loree came and took the prescription from ER to the local Longs Drug and came back with Vicodin. Even though by then the pain had gone again I took two and stayed low for several hours. It was so sad because Loree had laid out a perfect day of work that would have generated about $2,000 of income. We had to cancel it all and try to reschedule for early next week. In the afternoon I got tired of sleeping and went to Tracy to shoot some photos for an appraisal that I had started, hit Sonic for tator tots, hit CostCo for more mocha hot drink, (sharon is coming and we have to be ready for her) and came home.

Nan was in pain all day and stayed in bed trying to get some sleep. She finally did get some this afternoon and early evening. Tomorrow we see the oncologist and will get his read of what is causing the pain. Nausea has been much better for Nan today but she has eaten almost nothing, one piece of toast so she could take her Gleevec and Rapamune. The wound vac is coming next week and insurance has allowed one month. Our part to pay is 30% of about $1,700 for the month of rental of the vac.

Sometimes it seems the load is pretty heavy around here for Nan and me. We are totally on a survival mentality now, pain pretty well controls everything so there are no meals to fix, no smoothies to make, no morning times when we sit together and sip mocha's. We just deal with pain. Today was so disappointing for me personally because I felt my body let me down and I was not able to do my part, I let the chance for needed income slip right through my fingers, bummer.

After we see the doctor tomorrow in Concord which is about 45 minutes to one hour distant we will come home and then I drive about an hour to Oakdale to see three properties owned by the same person. Even at the discounted rate that lender pays it will still be a nice way to finish up the work week. This week we spent Wed. at UCSF, today being plagued by the kidney stone and tomorrow at the doctor. Challenging to get work completed and emailed to the lender.

When they weighed Nan in SF she was 111 which is up considerably over what we knew about. Hopefully that is a good sign for future health. Due to my being ill today we did not get the CD shipped back to Boston yet and we need to do that soon to get their professional opinion, we trust them most.

Keanna and STeve came to visit today and really that was the high point of the day. When Keanna got ready to leave she wanted to kiss my hurting place so she kissed my tummy, what a sweet tender loving child we are blessed with.

Well its change dressing and prepare the TPN bag time now. Neither are a big deal since we've done them so much that both are sort of automatic for us.

Well I think I probably should count my blessings, no pain right now, no vomiting right now, cool day to enjoy, lots of work to do, wonderful helpers Loree and Steve help hold things together and a wonderful brave wife who gets out of a painful bed to drive me to the hospital in the middle of the night. Thhat is courage for sure.

I think it is obvious that we need your prayers tonight, Nan needs divine healing for the extreme pain she is coping with, I could use some divine help with this kidney stone and we sure need God's help financially. Tomorrow is payroll and house payments, at this point I can cover payroll but house payments are another matter and we have never been late for a mortgage payment, its the worst thing one can do to your credit history. So we will watch God's blessing tomorrow and over the weekend and know He is in charge. Tonight I am so tired and a bit discouraged but not out, just down a bit. Needless to say we are sure looking forward to see Sharon on Tuesday. She is always such a boost to our morale.

We send our love,

tim and nan

2 Comments:

  • At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't that just like Nan! She always rises to the needs of others. Tim, I hope that kidney stone passes quickly and you will be back to work soon. Perhaps God thought you needed a rest and this is the only way He could get your attention....

    Still busy busy around here. Paulette will be back to work on Sunday ~ I hope. I have a cottage to clean today and 2 on Sunday. Roger is laying flooring in one of the cottages today. I have a new cleaning lady starting in a week or so. She calls herself a "cleaning maniac". Sounds good to me about now. I've showed cottages 2x already this a.m. and have another couple coming in about 15 minutes.

    Our prayers continue for you both for less pain.

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dad! I've always known you rock, but this is just silly. I'm going to tell everyone my dad is stoned! Hope it gets through quickly and with as little pain as possible. Hope to see ya'll sometime soon.
    Love,
    Jason

     

Post a Comment

<< Home