Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Another day

Dear Friends and Family,

Nan has retired for the evening. She has had a low key day with bouts of nausea several times and general unease in her GI. She did have some soup and crackers this evening with a glass of milk, two popsickles but thats about all for the day. Since it is monday two nurses came today. Terri at 8 to do blood work, take vitals and give encouragement. She is such a good help. Then at 11 the wound care nurse came and changed the device that collects the leaking fluid and directs it into a leg bag. Nan took a long nap and woke this afternoon to find me on the road to Patterson to do an appraisal. I then drove to Stockton to find two more comparables for an old appraisal and then after hitting taco bell headed home. Found nan in her chair. She was a little chilly so I built a fire but after a few hours we are sitting at 81 degrees, even got too warm for Nan. I have rubbed her feet a few times today and she has sorted mail and enjoyed several long phones calls with Sharon and Irene, those I know about. We both were saddened today to learn that our good friend Tue, I'm not spelling it right, who battled GIST for several years, went through Gleevec, Sutent, AMN 107 and natural remedies passed away yesterday. She was back in her home county vietnam and died there. It really shook both of us as we know and love her. She lived her life in a gentle and kind way with bravery and humor. Althought we did not have constant contact with her she would sometimes call or email a cheery message. Now we have lost her.

nan's vitals were good this morning, no fever, blood pressure was normal for her and we hope the blood work comes out OK as well. We look forward to our doctor visit tomorrow to Dr. Makker in Tracy and then on thursday the urologist at UCSF. Irene plans to drive up to be with us as we wait for the doctor and we look forward to seeing her again. Nan enjoyed getting a card and some very nice photos from Jan today. One of her and Jan went on the frig along with her photo of her and Roxanna. Now we need some more of her and other friends. One of Jan's photos was of Starr and Nan really loves it, so cute and precious.

I'm learning how to wait and accept. While I long for a chance to take Nan out to dinner or a movie I know that she is not up to it right now. We are very lucky if she feels strong enough to go for a short walk and get some air. I am so anxious for God to make a move to help her with her present dilema, the leaking and unfinished incision wound. I am tired of waiting, seeing her in agony enduring sharp pains that we both fear are coming from tumors. Nan is brave and steady but is very tired of the constant battle of the bags. Keeping them from leaking, emptied, safe from getting caught on things, away from the dogs, they are very challenging. Two were impossible and 4 were unbelieveable but 5 really push it across a line. Our hope is that urology will have some possible answers which could lead to plugging the leaking, that could remove one bag and possibly two in time.

Steve came to visit this morning and gave the kitties lots of loving attention. They perk up when they see him come in. He just drops in and makes their day. What a joy to have him as part of the family, the guy can do just about anything and everything is done well.

Its time to hit the sheets. How can I keep asking for your prayers like this? Well I am just bold enough to keep asking hoping that one of these days I can begin to report some progress and improvement for Nan. I know God knows about Nan's needs and will do the right thing but that timing of His is so hard to accept.

So we send our love and appreciation,

tim and nan

ps Thanks Sandy for your IRS comments. They are very helpful to us.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Morning!

    I'm glad it was a day for 2 visiting nurses. That way you were not alone all day by your self. I'm sure those 5 bags would be quite burdensome. The weight alone would wear you out moving about. I hope the new bag is better without the breakage you were experiencing with the other one. My prayer for you today is for a day without the nausea and pain ~ a day of peace.

    There are few who have the courage and determination you have had. I remember your going to Dollywood and how matter of factly you handled your 4 bags. As you have said, "I can stay home and hurt and be miserable or I can go and do what I want and still hurt." So, off you went to enjoy life to its fullest. I know it must be very hard on you not to be able to do those things now. However, you have many wonderful memories to keep you going on the days you are alone and a bit bored. "Don't cry because it is over ~ smile because it happened." You certainly have a lot to smile about as you remember your adventures in the last few years. You are an adventurous lady who has inspired many and a good friend.

    I love you Nan,
    Carol

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Mustards,

    We continue to hope & pray that things will be better for You and getting out will be something that can be done with ease and comfort.

    Carrols Sister Marlene left for Her Home in Chico Sunday P.M. Carrol misses having Her around but things must go on. My Sister Patty is coming in Friday for Our Mom's 92nd B. day and will be staying for 5 days. It will be good to have Her here for a bit to Visit, etc.

    We are planing on coming over to visit you on Sabbath P.M. if things are o.k. and the weather is not prohibitive.

    Have a good Day and don't forget to VOTE , Sure will be glad to have all this political stuff behind Us for a while. What a drag it is ?

    Love & Prayers always,

    Bob & Carrol.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Irene Wing said…

    Dear Nan and Tim,
    I just want to echo Phyllis Lytle's message from yesterday. It was so inspirational to hear her message. I also agree that Tim's words are so humble in spite of all that both of you have endured.
    Today as I am studying Romans 5:1-5, I am thinking about you, Nan. I hope these words will bring you comfort. "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perservance, perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." I know that the Holy Spirit is in you because I see your perservance and character. Remember, you always have hope because of God's love for you.
    Love in Christ,
    Irene

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Tim and Nan,

    What gift could I offer to you. What insight could I share that you have not had for years. There are none! So what is left for me to do? Am I to cheer from the side lines? It is amasing to read your blog and think that I could not have not as well as you. Or maybe with God's help I could. Thank you for the reminder that all things are possible with God.

    Nan and I pray daily that your burdens will be lifted and that we can soon rejoice in the glory that will occassion that day.

    Remember that guy that was in jail sentenced to death that keep sing God's praises. How much better off are we that are sentenced to Life everlasting.

    Love and prayers continually,

    Wes and Nan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home