Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Keanna and Nikki are back, stop by to play

Dear Friends and Family,

9:30 and we are winding down, Nan is relaxing in her recliner after a day of ups and downs health wise. She started having intense pain during the night and through the morning hours. She worked her meds more closely spaced and got it under better control. We changed the dressing last night and this morning and each time it seems the skin that is trying to heal looks better, less angry red which is good. It seems strange to look in the place where the leak comes out and see a small opening of about 1/4 inch across that just goes right down into Nan's body. No one seems to know for sure where it is coming from.

Dana made a nice breakfast and later in the morning Nan came downstairs after the odors from breakfast had cleared. Any hint of a food odor can set her off easily. It has been that way for years and is even more focused at this time. By the time she came down I had the temp of the room up to about 67, it had started at 63 this morning. Got to get that furnace looked at. Dana has turned out to be very good at keeping the fire going and carries wood in from the wood stack when I'm not looking.

I went to church today and enjoyed a very good talk by Becky Lanza, long time friend. It was an inspiring message and used the testimony of people who are relatively new in the church family. After wards I had the chance to talk at length with Wes who often writes comments to the blog. I got to express personally how much I appreciate his feedback and warmth and wisdom. I also enjoyed talking with Steve and Syliva Ahn who gave some very helpful suggestions regarding Nan's care and medical attention. They professional concern driven by a very long friendship is more helpful than they can possibly know. A side development is that Steve's wonderful and precious mom may finally be willing to make the move from her home in Napa to Tracy to be closer to family. She is one of God's own, a very tender hearted and thoughtful lady and a great mom to Steve. Sylvia's mom is also moving to town and she is a character really, a free thinker and very interesting lady also. So their lives are about to take new directions.

When I came home Dana had food ready and it was great. Nan asked for a small plate and enjoyed it too. After eating Nan and I both fell asleep and Dana slipped away to get a few things she had been meaning to find. Nikki called to say that they were home having driven until 2 this morning. So she and Keanna came over this early evening. Nikki had to get meds for Keanna so we got to have her highness with us for a couple hours. What a precious child, full of life, ideas, learning, humor and cleverness. She is just wonderful in every way and her aunt Dana knows just how to work with her since she has little ones at home all the time. Nan enjoys watching her antics, the hugs, the little loving comments about her grammy. While I had intended to have many items moved in the garage this evening I instead played with Keanna and will get up early in the morning to move boxes, I can always do that, I don't always get to interact with keanna.

Tomorrow Tom Miller and John Nunes are coming to build shelves in the garage. It is a dream come true for me and for the business. It will make working with the files much easier than ever before and Nan and I really appreciate what they are about to do.

Nan has felt gradually better as the day wore on today and as the pain was better controlled. We got her TPN on early tonight so she will be free to do whatever she wants earlier tomorrow afternoon. I hope she and Dana can get out to do something but that will depend on how she feels tomorrow.

Our prayers are seeking God's healing of the leaking, God control of the nausea and God's will to be done, we hope that is for her to feel better and stronger soon. Nan loves her freedom and lately she has had very little of it. I pray that she can be free again.

I want you all to know how much Dana's visit has meant to Nan and me. Dana is a honest and caring person who makes things happen. She gives such a lift to Nan's spirits during this hard time, it is beautiful to watch. We really appreciate her help and her being with us. We wish she would never have to go home but she has a family that loves her and misses her so we understand.

So we are sending our love and deepest appreciation for your compassion and prayers.

love

tim and nan and dana

4 Comments:

  • At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Tim,

    So pleasant to visit with you at church today. There is one problem that I must take up with you however regarding the blog. The use of my name in a sentence with the word wisdom should not be used again if you are to keep any credibility in the area. Your wonderful Boston and other GIST friends will , thankfully, not be adversely affected by this errorant comment. Just don't let it happen again.

    I read that the Dream Builders, Tom and John, will be at your location on the morrow. This is wonderful news but I must warn you that if you don't keep a close watch on Tom he will sneak out and wash your car when you are not looking. On a recent visit he attacked my wheels with some secret potion and my wife accused me of buying new ones when I got home. Just beware!

    Glad also to learn that her majesty is in the house again to the benefit of all her playmates. Enjoy.

    Best wishes and prayers,

    Wes

    ps Can you say bald tires 3 times really fast?

     
  • At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Nan,

    You must consider writing a book. No one should attempt to take the road you have taken without the benefit of your knowledge. I am embarrassed to bring it up because my own journey has been so easy by comparison. I must of course indure it if I am to say to you what is in my heart. I do hope you are siting down for this.

    I have been benefiting from your efforts. It is not fair, it is your efforts and any benefit from them should go directly to you but alas that it not the case. As you walk this uncharted path, struggle through the pain and face your own doubts and fears you leave a path behind you for others to follow. A path packed down by the tread of your tired feet, a path that is smoother to walk on for those that follow in your footsteps. It is the knowledge the my benefit comes at the expense of your pain that breaks my heart.

    Thank you for being my friend and know that I pray daily that God will continue to give you the strength, peace, healing and love that you need!

    Wes

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim, Nan and Dana,

    Now I have a face to go with the name "Dana". It was nice meeting you Dana! Nan is special to many of us and we all appreciate what you do to lift her spirits and the help you bring to both Tim and Nan.

    We are home in NC again this evening! It's always so good to come home after a trip. We enjoyed being with our kids and getting to know the grand kids better. It was actually unseasonably warmer here in NC than it was in CA. It has been rainy, but NO ICE! This is good. Our turn is coming.....

    How good it was to see you again last week. I've been trying to read the old blogs to get caught up. Did Nan get rid of the 5th bag? You didn't say as far as I read. You will all definitely be in our prayers on January 5. That's a crucial step in Nan's treatment. I know it will be tense for all of you.

    Continued love and prayers ~ Carol

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    Here is wishing You all a very special "New Year" filled with blessings for Us all Who battle Cancer in all of it's horrible forms.

    Good to read that Roger & Carol are safely home and was'nt it good to visit with them again for a few hours.

    We are enjoying playing games with the Guptills this evening. I doubt if We will make it till midnight but that hour is not as meaningful as it used to be in the past when We all were much YOUNGER !!

    Have a good evening and know that We are Praying for good things to come soon for Nan .

    Much Love ,

    Bob & Carrol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home