Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Another good day

Dear Friends and Family,

What a relief that the work week has come to an end and we can truely rest. This week has seen some progress toward wholeness, you would not believe the difference in Nan's moving, her communication, her alertness and her ability to cope. Nan has been able to move about today while I was gone, to be in the kitchen, up and down stairs, find something to eat so she could take meds, talk on the phone, catch some Zss at times. We have spoken many times on the phone as we reached out to the IR chief at UCSF. This busy man called Nan back and carefully explained what we could do to help the left nephrostomy infection heal, he called in antibiotics to Longs in Brentwood and took time to ask how Nan was doing, a true gentleman.

She also worked on getting an appointment for the blood transfusion tomorrow which is now set for 9 am providing they can locate a bed for her. Seems they are really busy just now. We are also finding the amount of leakage to be slightly reduced and the color appears to be turning from black to a very dark green. Dr. Morgan from Dana Farber emailed today to say he never received the CT scan CD so we'll have to restart that process over again. We are now set to meet a new oncologist at UCSF on the 6th of February. She has GIST experience and we look forward to being in her care.

Nikki, Steve and Keanna are home and came to visit this afternoon. I missed them because I was still in Fremont finishing up a little house and then driving home through traffic. My trusty GPS guided me all day long without mishap finding even difficult streets and addresses. While Nikki and Keanna were here they gave a brief description of the fun they have been having at Tahoe. Keanna really loved the whole experience and especially the snow. Nikki was kind enough to move some furniture around and out of the way. I think Nan was glad to be able to feel so much better while they were here to really enjoy every moment without fear of nausea.

I'm sorry I will miss taking Keanna to Sabbath School in the morning but we are going to be doing some important work, getting Grammy blub as she calls it, thats blood in 3 year old understanding.

My new phone is taking some time to get used to but it works well and has a large readout so its much easier for me to see it with these aged eyes. It has the bluetooth earpiece which I will need come July when all can cell phone calls must be handsfree. I am feeling some better after a very rough night. I was awake for hours thinking about issues we face and trying to place them in the Master's hands, then taking them back and worrying over them again. Plus I was sick and could not breath using my breathing machine I use every night for sleep apnea. Rough night but a good day, plan to head to bed early tonight though and catch some extra hours of rest. We have to be in the car ready to go at 8 in the morning, then we call and see if they are ready with a bed, sure hope so after all the getting ready.

While Nikki was here she prepared some watermelon for mom to eat and when I came home I prepared more watermelon for her to enjoy, I also brought dark chocolate home as many GISTers report that dark chocolate helps the Gleevec go down and stay down. For the next few days Nan will be taking an antibiotic 4 times a day to fight off the infection which is surrounding her left tube, plus the doctor has us using a warm damp cloth for several minutes to relieve the area swelling and pain. I've already changed the sheets tonight so the bed is fresh and ready for her highness.

We appreciate the help of Loree, our assistant for the company who does so many things and has worked extra hard this week to keep money in the bank at the right times. Also we appreciate Jean who helps with writing up appraisals. Both are wonderful help and are very supportive. In spite of feeling rather ill this week I still managed to inspect about 9 properties spread over a couple hundred mile radius. We are thankful for work, for energy and for God's hand in everything.

Tonight we send our love to each of you. If you care to tomorrow afternoon might be a good time to reach Nan on her cell, she will probably be flat on her back getting blood and might enjoy a break in the dull routine. I'm not sure how much they will allow me to be with her since I am coughing and sneezing, not a good way to be in the hospital.

So with gratitute we thank you for your involvement in our lives this week.


tim and nan


  • At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations Tim,

    A double! Back to back good days. Am so happy to read the great news. Hope tomorrow makes it a triple. Pleased also to hear that Keanna and her ontourage(sp) have returned safely and are adding additional pleasure to you and Nan. Just a really good deal all round.

    I'll miss seeing you tomorrow but pray that your trip to the hospital will be timely and effective.



  • At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Marilyn said…

    Tim and Nan

    This is full of good news - great day! You get that blood in you and you'll want to eat out on the way home!!!

    Isn't it fun to have the kids drop by? They are the spark that turns the heartstrings on.

    Nan, the lotion is on the way - it went out yesterday morning - you may even get it today and if not, Monday for sure. I know that feels so good on your feet and I'm happy to share it.

    I went to bed way to early tonight and am up again. It is always fun to read a blog with good news! It even sounds like Tim is feeling better.

    Guess I'll play a couple of my games and then hit the hay again.

    Love and prayers continue, Marilyn

  • At 5:26 AM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    What a good report! You deserve a break in the nausea, etc. And you are also confident on that stair chair by yourself again. That offers you a little more independence too. You even navigate into the kitchen by yourself. Good for you! Now to get that new blood pumped into you and you'll be good to go.... well probably not too far though.

    Tim, I hope you get to feeling better soon. That's a nasty bug going around. I hope Nan escapes the ravages of that cough. It would be exhausting for her to cough like that!

    Roger went to a new Dr. this week and I feel encouraged that he wants to find out exactly what is going on with his liver and his gluten intolerance. He is enjoying the luxury of eating the foods he has been missing (pasta, bread, pizza, etc.) for about 3 weeks then they run the tests. There is a good possibility that he was misdiagnosed with the liver problem 12 years ago. Now let's find out just what the problem really is. He is hoping it isn't Celiac (gluten intolerance). He is really tired of this diet!

    Have a blessed Sabbath with new strength for the day.

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol said…

    Hi Mustards,

    Good to read that Nan is doing so much better, now We pray for a safe trip to Comcord and that the blood transfusion will go smoothly.

    Do take care of Yourself Tim, get the rest that You so much need, no fun to be under the weather.

    We have an important date Monday AM the blood tests will be avaliable then to determine if more Chemo is necessary at this time.

    How is the furnace repair coming along? Looks like We will be having some warmer weather now. We are hopeing for some rain, it sure is dry and so many of the plants & Shrubs around the house are frozen out. I think We were able to save Our Grapefruit & Lemon Trees, Spring will tell the tale for sure.

    Have a good Sabbath, We will try to come over for a visit next week some time when You are feeling better and if Carrol is not on the Chemo Pills again.

    Love You,

    Bob & Carrol.


Post a Comment

<< Home