Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

What a day this has been...

Dear Friends and Family,

I write with a happy heart this evening. Nan has had another really successful day.

We first woke this morning around 5 but decided that we really did not need to be up that early so we tried again at 7:30, did a wound dressing change, a dressing change for the left nephrostomy tube where the infection is currently active and discovered that the PICC line Nan had hooked the TPN back up to was leaking so we called that amazing visiting nurse, Terri who lives here in Discovery Bay and in 10 minute she was here cleaning up the PICC line dressing and urging us not to use the red line any more. Nan dressed and we headed for the hospital arriving there about 10. After a brief time in registration we were directed to the 3rd floor and to a room. We were introduced to our nurse for the day and she was just great, very professional and careful yet kind and thoughtful as well. It ususally takes a while for the blood to make its way up from the pharmacy to the floor and it was after noon before the blood arrived and was started. We both slept on and off and I left to find lunch in Danville at a place I enjoy, then back to just spend time together and enjoy the sparkle in Nan's eyes as the new blood and the steriods given during the transfusion did their number. Nan was practically bursting with ideas by the time we were allowed to leave the hospital. She called Nikki and Keanna and we met them in Antioch at Chilis for Chicken Fried Steak for Nan, ice tea, chips and a taste of her birthday milkshake. What fun to just sit and relax with people you love so much. We all enjoyed having Nan feel so much better than even a week ago, humor, energy, ideas good things. Keanna got to sit with her grammy and together they finally finished their meals. Then it was to Target for a shopping trip for Nan, one of the first in the last two months. I pushed her in her wheel chair and Nikki and Keanna did the basket and we found snacks Nan thought looked good to eat, kitty food and other essentials. Then back to the van and home to a very cold house, 62 degrees. We got her settled into her chair with a small heater blowing her way and the heated cover going full blast. Then into her gown, then the TPN was prepared and attached, then she fed the dogs left overs from her food, I built a fire which is crackling even now, brought all the goodies in from the car, restarted her computer so she could read her 80 email messages.

As you can see we have much to be thankful for at the close of this sabbath day. I am feeling a lot better now and have just enjoyed seeing Nan feeling so much better, the leaking diminishing, her energy level higher, her mental state astounding. I want to be clear, we know we will experience ups and downs but I want to share with you our rejoicing at the current ups. For the last couple of months the majority of our lives have been controlled by nausea. For a few days now that is no longer true, praise the Lord.

So we send our thanks to you for your prayers and ask that you continue to seeks God's will for us, and for you as well.


tim and nan


  • At 5:14 AM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Hi Tim and Nan,

    What a glorious day for you ~ relief from the nausea is such a blessing! Our Lord has heard our pleas in Nan's behalf. Any good days are a blessing! With the new blood coursing through your veins you should be ready for this new week and your party on the week end. Now don't overdo during the week and get all tired out before your big party.

    Tim, and you too are feeling better. Good news! Of course when Nan feels better you also feel better. I hope the cough doesn't linger too long. Roger is STILL coughing after nearly a month now.

    There is another ice storm in the forecast for today. So far we are at 35 degrees, so hope to escape it. We really hate the ice storms. Just give us a good snow storm and that's fine ~ but the ice.....

    Continue to enjoy those good days ~ both of you!
    And we will continue to pray for more of them.

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

  • At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your high should last a few more hours, so get busy. You had almost forgetten what it fells like to feel fairly normal. You go, Girl!! Don't worry about things for the party, they will all be coming by to see YOU, and I know Pam and I know that things look good. Wish I could be there, but not possible just yet. Have a warm and pain-free day. Love you loads. Sharon

  • At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    Praise the Lord that Nan is doing so much better. We are looking forward to seeing you next week at the B. Day Bash.

    Sunshine today and warmer weather is also welcome. We do need some rain but the better weather is a treat for sure.

    Let Us know the time frame for the Party so We can plan Our day. The Guptils will be coming with Us too. It happens to be Their Anaversary so We will be going to dinner together after visiting with You on Sunday.

    Tomorrow is Clinic day for Carrol so say a prayer for good blood numbers.

    Love & Prayers always,
    Bob & Carrol.

  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    This is great news in deed! A triple, way to go, three days in a row. Wow! I am not surprised to learn that the blood transfusions are great for Nan's body. How wonderful it is to feel so well in the afternoon after a morning in the hospital. My soul gets a daily uplift from the blood of CHRIST. The scars of sin ar still visable but the sin is gone and I too have more hope and energy for the day.

    I have great joy in knowing that you and Nan had both physical and spiriual cleaning today!




Post a Comment

<< Home