Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Calm and doing better, real progress

Dear Friends and Family,

Finally it is evening and I'm here with a very relaxed and nice looking Nan. She is slowly eating some pretzels I brought in, trying to get rid of the taste of the liquid potassium they are trying to see if it will help her.

Nan's creatines have dropped from 4.2 to 3.7 this morning. That is a big drop and her urine bags are filling with beautiful clear liquid. She has eaten three meals today without throwing up at all. She has talked to many people today on her cell, had conversations with doctors and is doing better. Her vitals are good and they have been throwing antibiotics at her using the picc line, so far she does not seem to be negatively affected by them.

Our day started for me at 6 am. I wrote three appraisals at home after building a little fire for the doggies. Then I traveled to Brentwood to see Keanna's school chapel program. Nan had wanted to see the show so I took the camcorder and shot it for her and Nikki. After the show I drove to Antioch to see Nan. I showed her some of the program and we shared a few quiet moments and then it was time for me to hit the road. How I hated to leave her on Valentines day but I did leave her with a card that said it all.

I drove to Coursegold which was about 2 hours plus, finally found the house that eluded me last time I was there, enjoyed inspecting this 10 acre ranch with barns, view and 14 little doggies, 3 birds, chickens, geese, a stream, trees and a pond. Then to Oakhurst which is almost in Yosemite to shoot comps, the last one I never found and I spent 45 minutes looking, bummer. During the day I got to talk to Nan several times and she was doing well. She had a few things for me to bring from home and reminded me when I got near home. So I left Oakhurst about 6 pm fortified by french fries and apple dippers and a diet coke. The computer said I had a 3 hour trip home but as I drove it keep lowering the total time down to just over 2 hours. At home I found eager dogs, mail with no checks, booooo, the pills bottles Nan needed (hospital rules), alaska soxs she loves, pretzels from the vending machine in ER.

WE are enjoying our new data card from Sprint. It is about as fast as DSL. Brought in 103 emails this evening in about 5 minutes when I turned it on. Not bad and $20 less per month.

Nan does not know when she will be released. We are not pushing anyone, tomorrow cultures will be back which will let them know more about bugs that might be growing, her white cell count was down today which is good and may indicate that the infections are being controlled.

We still hope to spend the weekend at Jason and Jo's house but that will depend on how Nan is and when she is released.

Tonight we want to thank you again for your special prayers in Nan's behalf. Her condition was very serious when we came in and is improving by the hour.

So we send our love to you, thanks for your prayers and for your help, ecards and emails.


tim and nan


  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    What appears to be regular stuff for you is a life time for the rest of us. I have a complaint about that and I will dang well mention it, if I don't I will forget so it has to be know. With all you and Nan have been doing this last few days how in the world did you find a card that says it all? What is it with you anyway? I have been looking for a card that is just ok for 30 years and you fond one that says it ALL. Please tell Nan to save said card for I must see it.

    Nan beats creatines back 12%, YEH! YEH! YEH! Way to go dudette!

    Jesus and I want you to be well!


  • At 4:52 AM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Good Morning Mustards!

    More good news today! So glad things are looking up again! Yes, you are there in the safety of the hospital where "help" is nearby if you need it. I'm glad you are there until you stabilize again. I wonder why you seem to have no nausea while you are in the hospital? Is it the IV's? What they feed you? or just what it is that makes the difference? Interesting......

    This a.m. we awoke to a very cold 17 degrees outside and 45 degrees inside! Brrr! Now that's cold!!! Coldest it has been all winter. Of course we really haven't had much winter this year. A slight dusting of snow 2x and one little mild ice storm. Today I don't find it very exciting to go to the "Y" to my water exercise class. It just doesn't seem logical to go swimming at 17 degrees even if it is inside. Tomorrow is another day.....

    Keep up the good report with lots of that clear liquid output! Now that's really good news!

    Continued Love and Prayers !


  • At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    Hang in there and be thankful that You are in Good Caring Hands that know just what to do and when to do it.

    Glad that your trip was a success Tim, long way to drive but sometimes that it what it takes.

    We enjoyed a good Valentines Day, Cards and a great Lunch right here at Home. Sometimes that is the better option. At least you don't have to get all dressed up.

    We will come over Sabbath for a visit if Nan is Home and up to some company. Let Us know how things are , We will call before We make the Drive.

    Love & Continued Prayers,

    Bob & Carrol.


Post a Comment

<< Home