Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

In the hospital and getting stronger

Dear Friends and Family,

This has been an interesting 24 hours. Nan and I both appreciate the many expressions of prayer for Nan last evening. She really needed it badly. Nan had a night of every two hours being sick with large volumes of fluid, 400 to 500 cc each time. We debated going to ER each time this happened but would lay back down and try again. I could not sleep, so anxious with worry and I had an appraisal that was needed by morning so at 2 am I got up, went down to the office and completed the report and emailed it out. Then back to be with Nan. At 3.45 she was sick again and we decided to both come down to the recliners to see if that would help. She settled in, I built a small fire and we both slept until about 7 this morning. Then while she still dozing I started working the phones trying to figure out if a picc line had been ordered at Sutter Delta Hospital in Antioch. Finally I got Anita's cell number and she called me back to say she had heard nothing from SF. So I reached Scott in SF and he then called Anita, set up the picc line and I reminded him about crescent home health care hydration deliver and support. Later in the morning a lady called from the office to say Crescent had been contacted and that they were on board, then Crescent called to confirm a delivery of IV fluid would arrive on our front porch this afternoon or evening. We get our nurse back and Nan will have 24 hour hydration to help her kidneys function correctly.

We arrived here at ER at 11 and before to long we were whisked away to have the picc line installed. Anita went right to work and 45 minutes later she was done and Nan owned a nice new picc line. Then back to wait about an hour for a room and then another hour for the doctor, all very worth the wait. We had a great doctor who looked very much like the evil genius in Princess Bride, short, bald and brilliant. He has Nan on a combo of saline, potassium and dextrose. This is her second liter of fluids and her kidneys are starting to wake up and put out urine. Its a great sight to see them working again. Her creatines were 4.2 today and that is the highest we have seen since Boston when at the worst they went to 4.7 briefly. Nan is feeling better already and has not thrown up since arrived at the hospital. In spite of her nausea she has faithfully kept trying at her water bottle and has had a 1/2 liter of water today.

She was given the choice, stay or go home tonight. She decided to stay for the night because here she can get the balance of input she needs to get her back to a better place medically. The doctor told us that it was good we got here when we did, thanks Sylvia for your urging, yes we should have come last night.

We have talked to both Jason and Nikki several times today keeping them in the loop as to mom's condition. We were not that sure about coming to this hospital due to past performances but the care today could not be better. The hospital has recently been remodeled and we were put in a quiet corner room with plenty of space, comfortable bed and temperature is just right. We brought a down blanket from the car and its has been just right for her all day. Soon we will move to a room somewhere out of the ER and later I will head home. I am using a new data card by Sprint, one that Troy uses in Texas and it is so much faster than the prior one I had from Cingular, night and day.

Thank you special friends for praying for Nan last evening. It was a very stressful evening and knowing that we were being lifted by our prayer warriors was comforting. What good friends you have been over these many months and hopefully someday we can begin to repay you with our kindness.

Nan had hoped to be able to attend a special chapel service at Keanna's school in the morning. However she will not be out of here by then but I plan to to and video tape so she can see Keanna and her friends in action. Nan has not given up on our trip this weekend to see Jason and Jo and it will depend on how she feels.

It is now nearly 7 pm and we hope to make the move to a room pretty soon. Nan has missed her dinner but we might be able to find some broth or something tempting. Perhaps hot tea.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to travel to the Coursegold area to see a house that I could not find the last time I was there. Plus shoot some comp photos for a place in Oakhurst. Then home to mom. Mary has agreed to take her home from the hospital if she goes during the day.

Well I'm going to sign off for the evening, we are enjoying time together and Nan is much much better.

Thanks for your prayers and love,

tim and nan


  • At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol said…

    Hi Mustards,

    Good News indeed, We will hope that Nan gets much better now, Have a safe drive tomorrow Tim, Long drive ahead for you.

    Have a restful evening, both of You.

    Love you,

    Bob & Carrol.

  • At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Marilyn said…

    Dear Tim and Nan -
    Whew it's like we can breathe deeply again. Nan is perking up and those kidney's are working again. God is good!!!
    More prayers tonight ~
    Hugs, Marilyn

  • At 5:03 AM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Hi Tim and Nan,

    For sure this is good news! So glad the kidneys are working again and you are getting some fluid into you. It sounds like you were losing a whole lot more fluid than you were taking in. How fortunate that you got the help you needed. Yes, again you knew what you needed and knew how to get it.

    Have another good day!

    Love and Prayers ~ Carol


Post a Comment

<< Home