Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Nan gets some much needed rest today

Dear Family and Friends,
Nan slept until 8:30 this morning almost without waking at all during the night. Once again she went to bed with a 101 temp and woke with a 99.5 and last night she used a blanket, just can not stand to be so cold for hour after hour.
We think her blockage continues since there is very little out the colostomy and we have to pump fairly frequently, Marilyn got 700 ccs out at one point today and I also got some this morning a couple of times. When I thought over how much fluid is coming out of her body I did a hydration this afternoon putting some much needed fluids back into her body. It has now been a week since Nan took a bite of anything and she battles the edges of Nausea all the time. We use zophram often which helps.
This has been a tough day emotionally for Nan. She misses Dana's cheery presence and when changing her colostomy today she discovered what seems to be another tumor just under the surface near her stoma. That was really hard to take as it seems like a setback instead of a step forward against the tumors. Physically Nan remains about the same, able to walk slowly but pretty steady, able to find a comfortable sleeping position usually with the use of pillows, able to take her meds by mouth and very alert when she is awake, no mental lapses.
We are hoping to see little Timothy again soon and nan is looking forward to seeing him up close and personal.
I worked on taxes for the year 2005 today and made significant progress, just need to find the month of December and input it and then can hand it over to the tax man who happens to live next door. Then on to 2006 since we are filing late. I am looking forward to Loree, our bookkeeper, house sitter, pet sitter, fish trainer, bank rep and good friend, looking forward to her working part of her days here in the office come tomorrow. Orders do not come in like they used to but we do see some from time to time. In spite of losing Dana to her own home where she is surrounded by grandchildren we have had a pretty decent weekend. Marilyn is a real dear and is good for Nan. When Nan is sleeping Marilyn reads her book or naps and when nan is awake they talk over movies, our history together, what is happening at her house, her kids text message and keep her up to date on events.
Tomorrow morning Terry, our nurse, comes to take blood and vitals. She was here on Sabbath afternoon to fix the picc line but this is an official visit for which she will be paid.
As I look at Nan's situation and medical condition my prayer concerns are: tumor stability or reduction vitally needed, blockage breaking lose so Nan can eat a bite here and there again, courage for the ongoing fight in spite of stiff odds, continual resistance to infection.

Please pray that the AMN will work and that the bowel obstruction will open again. Pray for Nan to have her quiet courage and faith that God is in control.

Please oh please do not forget to call from time to time. Although nan might sound sleepy it is still very good for her to get beyond these 4 walls and exchange words and ideas with others.
So tonight and tomorrow please remember dear sweet Nan in your quiet times with your God.

love from our house to yours and from our family to yours as well,

tim and nan and marilyn

3 Comments:

  • At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim,

    I seems to me that all is going well. There has been no crisis or hopital emergency. This seems good to me! Go with me here. Repeat after me, "This Seems Good To Me". This is your life Tim and it seems good to me. You can repeat the matra anytime you wish.

    I am over the hill and I can see the other side. I know the whole story but sometime I get involved with what is happening at the moment and let the difficult or the uncontrolled part of it change my view of the day. At these times you must stop and say "It seems good to me". In the right context it is all good. Our struggle is to stay in that right context. It seems good to me!

    I'll continue to pray that the difficult and the uncontrolled of Nan's and yours and my life doesn't push out "It seems good to me". I am also praying that the difficult and uncontolled part of your tomorrow will be a lot better than yesterday!

    It seems good to Wes! (and he isn't near as good looking as you)

     
  • At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Morning!

    And I do hope it is a good morning for you. I'm glad Dana got home eventually. Those stand by flights can be interesting at times. I'm also very glad that Marilyn is there for both of you. How do your rate a full time live in nurse? How very special for you! You are not alone. We know God is with us always, but it is good to have an angel by your side that you can see. I hope she can stay awhile.

    So sorry about the new tumor. It would be devastating in view of the hope of shrinking tumors with the AMN! GIST is a cruel disease! Our prayers continue to be with you that it will be "good for you".

    Continued Love and Prayers ~ Carol

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    We are just back from the Clinic and Praise the Lord, Carrol's blood numbers are still holding and the all important "light chain" Ratio is still going down. The Dr. is very pleased and told Us No chemo for two more months.

    We will indeed continue to Pray for Nan's Health issues to get better, Tumors, Blockage, Nausea,etc. How She must long to EAT and enjoy food again.

    If You are up to a brief visit, We could probably come over Sabbath afternoon. I will bring the ramp tracks that I am not using for You to try in Your Garage, they will also will work on the Van.

    Love & Continued Prayers,

    Bob & Carrol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home