Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Marginally better

Good Evening,
Our big trip to the hospital is going to take place in the morning instead of today. By the time they called today it would have been impossible to get there, to get the blood and home before 2 or 3 am so I asked for Friday. We will leave around 8:30 in the morning for a 10 am check in. After Nan is comfortably in bed I will drive on to conduct appraisals in Aptos, Berkeley and perhaps other places too as time allows. Nan is ready for blood and can feel the low hemoglobin when she stands or walks. Last night she made a decision to rip off the pain patches and go back to oxycontin. She had a much better night with better pain control. We were only up twice during the night to add some Dilautid to the mix and this morning she just pushed 1/2 of a tube in, waited for an hour and then used the other half. While she has not felt chipper today she has felt better. The wound care nurse showed at 10 and changed the nephrostomy dressing/locks, then Nan took some pain meds and went to sleep. She came down late morning and has been residing in her recliner since. We've done a bit of pain meds and Zophram but she has rested most of the afternoon and is fairly comfortable.
Blue Cross called today to do a monthly inquiry to see how Nan was doing and so we got a chance to discuss home health care for a couple days a week. The lady was filling in but called back with good news. First we get a doctors prescription stating that nan needs some LVN care at home, then we locate an agency that can supply such help and will take Blue Cross, then we proceed. That is such good news and will be a huge help in nan's care. The last two days I've been helping her and while I love every minute of it I have a harder time getting the neccessary work done to keep appraisals flowing along. This way we can perhaps locate someone who can come two days a week for 8 hour shifts and then friends or family can also help sometimes and I can certainly take my part as well. So that was good news.
There is no way around the fact that we miss Marilyn. She has become so much a part of our family that we often think of her with fondness.
This afternoon Nikki, Keanna and Steve showed up, STeve to mow and edge the lawn with his new equipment, he has started a landscaping business and is doing great getting it going. He sure made quick work out of our little lawn and weeds. Thanks Steve. Keanna and Nikki talked to grammy and then were gone off to dance class. What a sweet little person she has turned into. Seems to be feeling good again today which is wonderful.
I have been working up some appraisals, made appointments for tomorrow and finished the imputing of the data for tax year 2005. Now I need to add things up, like PG&E, Phone bills, DMV taxes, mortage interest paid, other work related expenses and then submit to Ken who will work his magic. Of course I have to start on 2006 immediatelly as that also needs to be filed by Oct. 15. I hope never to be so far behind again with this stuff. Gradually I'm climbing out of the hole and Marilyn's sorting so many papers sure helped a lot.
This week our normal visitors are away, Mary is in Hawaii, Pam has been in Walla Walla with Shannon but soon Mary will come home and I think Pam is heading back or may already be back now.
Our life has come down to this, I am most relieved and contented with Nan when she is asleep because I know she is not hurting then so I try to keep the dogs quiet, the house still and comfortable and the pain meds moving along. I need desperately to go grocery shopping and have quite a list now but really can't get away for long leaving Nan. I am finding things in the freezer and shelves to eat but basics like eggs, milk, ice, are in short supply as is bread and creamer for my constant hot drinks.
It was so cold this morning when I finally dragged myself out of bed that I went and found a tiny space heater for under my desk. I had left the house open so it would air out, well it did and turned to ice in the process. Love this weather! Soon we can build a fire and enjoy the flames!

I'm blogging early because I hope to go to bed early as we have to get up so early tomorrow to get Nan ready. Moving to the van is so simple process and oh the pain she endures from riding the hour there and back.

So good night my friends and family members, we send our love and appreciation for your faithfulness to us in our hour, week, years of need. And special thanks to those who gave to the recovery fund. Your gift is now keeping the tank filled in the van, the food for lunches and the very basics of life, thank you for your recent gifts. Their arrival was timely and much appreciated. It took our poor personal account from red to black, thanks.

love to each and every one of you,

tim and nan


  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    If you would switch from margarine to Miracle Whip you would be much better off. Then you would be miraclly better instead of margarinally better. Try it you will see.

    Skipped the school work tonight and went to Zack's to work on the race car. It was fun we got greasy and changed the two front wheel bearings. We weighed the car as well. With a big ole scale that's how.

    Not really, we borrowed some scales that weigh each tire and tell you the weight front, back, left, right and across. I'd explain why we did it if I knew why we did it. Some things just don't have explainations. I know you and Nan know more about that than anyone I know.

    I'm praying that you get to know less about it. Have a better day than today.


  • At 6:46 AM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Good Morning!

    Yes, it is cool and rainy here today. What can I say? Tomorrow is the first day of fall. The leaves are just starting to turn.

    Tim, there is a simple fix for your ice problem. It's called ice cube trays. You fill them with water and put them in the freezer. After an hour or so you have ice! I thought you had an ice maker in your refrigerator also. So, no need to rush off to the store to buy ice. Aren't you glad I solved that one for you? I love simple solutions to simple problems.

    We have another busy week end coming up with the cottages. Lesley will be cleaning for us one more day on Monday. Then I guess it's Roger and me again until we find help. It's difficult to find someone who is honest, dependable, available, likes to clean, meets the public well, flexible, some computer skills, handles emergencies well and is willing to work! It is hard to know where to start looking. We have had a few interviews, but no prospects as yet. So, we are grounded for now.

    What a blessing for Blue Cross to provide respite care 2x a week. I hope your day goes well for you and Nan is not in too much pain during the long ride to Concord.

    Continued love and prayers ~ Carol

  • At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol. said…

    Good Morning from Lodi,

    We will be thinking about today and Praying that things go well & as planned with the visit to Concord for "New Blood".

    Carol is right,the "Cube Trays" will do the trick. We have an Ice- Maker in the Fridge that is in the Kitchen but the one in the Garage has a full compliment of "Cube Trays" full & ready to be used.

    Good Day Yesterday for Carrol, Her Post-Op Appointment went well and the DR. says things are looking good & Healing well. Carrol is already using Her Right Hand some and feeling in Her Finger Tips is starting to come back too.

    Maybe You will get a traffic break this morning and the trip will be an easy one.

    Spaghetti Factory is on tap for Dinner this Evening, We usually take advantage of the 2 for one deal befor 6:30. We do hope that You will be able to join Us there soon.

    We have not talked to Bernice lately, Hope that She is doing well with the Pace-Maker, by now She should be getting used to it and the installation site should be healed too.

    Have a Great Day,

    Love & Prayers,

    Bob & Carrol.

  • At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Morning Mustards,

    Hope the trip to the hospital goes smoothly with minimal pain for Nan.

    The suggestions for ice are good; but don't help alot if you don't have good tap water. You could have jugs of battled water on hand to keep the trays filled though.

    Mom is doing very well. The pacemaker seems to be doing its job. The doctors said it would take a good month or so for things to get synchronized. In the mean time she's feeling a lot better now! Praise the Lord!

    Have a good Sabbath, Nancy


Post a Comment

<< Home