Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

A day of rest

Dear Friends and Family,
9:50, Nan and Marilyn are busy filling out forms the Social Security Agency sent us which are meant to confirm that she is disabled and her work history over the past 15 years. Marilyn is a wiz at filling out these forms and Nan has an amazing memory of what she did and when, how much she made, and lots of other details. This is good diversion as Nan has had some pretty nasty pain today, so far the new pain patch does not seem to be improving things at all. We have given Dilautid many times today and that does work for a couple hours at a time.
I made Belgium Waffles for breakfast and Marilyn pronounced them very good. This evening I went to town and got the Fiero washed, picked up a Papa Murphys pizza and free bread. Marilyn and I could not eat it all so there is some for tomorrow. Good stuff and very very cheap to purchase. Should have been doing this for a long time.
We've been able to keep the house open nearly the whole day today with cool breezes wafting through. We've enjoyed our time with Marilyn as this is our last full day with her charming presence. She flys out of Sac tomorrow afternoon about 1 to Midway in Chicago and then on to Providence and home. Thank you Dana and Tim for providing this precious pink pass that allows her to travel across the county. We can't wait until she can return later in the winter some time.
I have the Fiero nearly ready to put on the market and if any of you have ideas of where a good place to sell is or any other ideas I am open. It cleaned up really nice, has leather interior, only 77,000 miles on a 1988 year, power windows and AC which does not blow cold anymore, needs freon. Tonight after I shot some photos of it I covered it up to keep it clean. Steve has promised he will list it for us in Craigs List and EBay as well. I may also put it in the trader which has a small fee but runs for a month.
We got more money in the mail today which is already deposited in the bank and along with the money I have already deposited I think I can make the house payment tomorrow, yea! I am also able to sent a little amount to AMEX to show good faith to them. I have until the end of the month before IRS will lean all we own so there are still challenges ahead. I want to especially thank my sister Sibyl for her lovely card and the cash it held. I had Nan put it into her purse so if for any reason she might need something she is not totally broke. Thank you Sibyl for your kindness and I sure look forward to seeing you in the future. You take care of yourself and enjoy your kids and grandchildren.
Others have come to our rescue in the past couple days in amazing ways and we thank you for your help. I'm feeling a lot more hope than just one week ago when I had such a terrible sunday, ill, depressed and just cornered on every hand I could see no way out. Art your words of hope and help, Jerry your reassurances of a better time coming, Sharon, your constant faith and positive words, Pam, your undying devotion to Nan, Sylvia, your words of hope, Irene your cards and positive thoughts even while you are facing your own time of darkness and many others. Thank you for investing your time, prayers, words, in our lives.
What we are experiencing is something you can't prepare for, or anticipate, or even fear. It just hits you and keeps hitting you and you cry out, why Nan? Why such an attack on such a precious person? No answers are possible now. But we do treasure each and every day as we live them. This morning after being up many times with pain and pain meds during the night we slept from about 4 to after 8, nearly 9. Then we sort of woke up and talked as I did things nan needed to feel better. It was a precious time, one I think we both value and treasure. Now its time to go up. This evening I have a nasty Charlie Horse in my hip, pain is fairly intense, could be a response to driving the Fiero with its very low seat and stiff clutch. It really hurts to move right now. Minor issue though.
In the morning Marilyn will give me a tour through the files she has so carefully created so I can maintain the order she has created. What a gift her organizational skills are to us at this time when nan can no longer file and sit at her desk and work.
Tonight I thank God and each of you for being there, for living your lives the best you can, for caring about others including us. You remind us of the real reasons for living on days when we are having tough times.

love

tim and nan and marilyn

4 Comments:

  • At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Marilyn, Thank you so much for being you. Your time with Nan and Tim have afforded all of the rest of us out here a sense of security and peace knowing you were right there with her for such a long time. I remain very anxious every day as to Nan's condition and the constant pain. I love her dearly and can't be there when in my heart and mind I know I should and want too. God sends His Angels in many ways and you are certainly one of them. Thank you so much from all of us.

    I pray for a safe trip back home for you and a soon return as you have been such help to both of them in so many ways.

    My schedule is very full for the next couple of weeks with many personal obligations. The Lord and I will make it through and then I pray for some time to come.

    Remember that the Lord has His arms around you both. Please take time to feel His presence. Love you both, the kids and grandkids.

    Love, Sharon

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Morning Mustards & Good Bye Marilyn,

    The Band Concert at the Festival went well Yesterday , afterwards We enjoyed a tour of the Pavilion and the Grape Murals were amazing. This Year the theme was Support Our Troops & Patroitic Stuff, very good indeed. Good Broasted Chicken Dinner later in Woodbridge at a New Place that We had not had a chance to try as yet and it was excellent! Glad to have that Spot so close to Home. I think we will be using it often, hope it stays around awhile.

    Have a good Sunday and Marilyn, Have a great trip Home & Reunion with Your Family too. Again many many thanks for all the help that You have been to Tim & Nan over the past 7 weeks.

    Love & Prayers always,

    Bob & Carrol.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim,

    I just finished performing on the new Grand Theater stage here in Tracy, I followed Linda Ronstadt! The audience was overwelmed.

    The truth is that I played 3rd trombone in the back row with the community band on the free to anyone that wanted to come and tour the new faucility day. Linda was on the night before at $250 per ticket.

    If it helps people to participate in the arts it will be a great benifit to the community. I know that playing in the band is a great joy to me like singing is to you and Nan. When the music is going and you are part of it, it frees you from all your cares and woes. It is a great feeling.

    Maryilyn is one of those people who is in the music all the time. We are all lucky to be exposed to her. Please give her a hug for me. I'll pay you back later.

    Continued prayers on your behalf are adding to the heavenly music. For your health and strength, for a decrease in Nan's pain and relief from the blockage and for Marilyn as she travels home to her family. God Speed.

    Wes

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a whirlwind week end we had! The choir was here Friday p.m and all day Sabbath. Linda and Andrew have been here for the week. Bill and Doreen came to be the featured speaker for the choir week end. We had about 30 here all day and about 50 here for lunch. Everyone brought way too much food as usual.

    Bill and Doreen went to their cottage this evening about 4:00 and 5:00 Linda and Andrew left to start their trip back to ID. I tried to talk them into staying over and leaving in the a.m., but she said Andrew would just want to do "one more thing" as he did all day today. This a.m. he and Grandpa went golfing then this afternoon they went fishing and had to take one last spin in the golf cart he and Grandpa made. Needless to say ~ Roger and I are both VERY tired tonight and looking forward to turning in quite early tonight.

    Tomorrow we are taking Bill and Doreen to Dollywood. The Blue Grass Festival started there this week end. Bill loves blue grass! Lesley will be here to mind the shop. Hmm ~ maybe NEXT week will be slower????

    I know you are missing Marilyn this evening. She has been such a blessing to you both the last several weeks. Tim I'm so glad you are feeling a bit better now. Your body is crying out for rest! It can only take so much stress along with no sleep. So, what to do? You do the best you can with what you have to work with and God will provide the strength and peace you need for each day.

    Have a good week!

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home