Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Antibiotics start at 10 pm, temp normal at 2 am.

Dear Family and Friends,
My what a difference a day can make. The delivery person arrived late last night with the Zozan and we started it immediatelly. Takes about 1/2 hour to administer, is prepared in a little bottle like a small baby bottle with a balloon inside, when the balloon has reduced to nothing then the drug is in. We hook it up to one of the PICC line connections after flushing with a saline. Very slick and Nan responded after the first dose. We have had little or no fevers all day today and every time I have taken her temp she is normal, what a blessing and answer to fervent prayers by you and by us. As a result of the temp becoming normal nan has felt much better today. She and Marilyn have spent most of the day upstairs in the cool bedroom and napped, watched judge shows and new york cop shows. Late this afternoon nan decided to come down and is enjoying being in her chair now.
This morning a new wound care nurse arrived. While Nan misses Julie a lot we are aware how much she is in demand by people with new ostomies. This nurse was good, careful, knowledgeable and kind. She changed the tummy bandage over the fistula and then did the nephrostomy covers, those are very painful to remove as they are strong and secure and hate to come lose. Yet she did a good job with minimum of pain to Nan. I always hold Nan's hand during those processes, also keep an eye on what they are doing to make sure nothing is kinked, today she started one on backwards, saw my face and took it off and did it right.
For those of you that are aware of how challenging our finances are I would just like to say that several checks came in the mail today, just in time because the business account was down to $42 dollars. Now payroll is assured and so is nan's car payment. AMEX called today to tell us that they were cancelling our account, an account we have had for over 15 years. I plead with them and they have given me until Sept 25 to find and pay $3,100 and I think that might be possible. They have always been very kind and helpful to us over the years. Of course over those years we have run hundreds of thousands of dollars through the card as it does our business expenses when it is working.
Yesterday was a tough day emotionally for all three of us and today has been easier and more positive. I do not mean to suggest that Nan is without pain, she is never without some pain but she has been less ill and more able to enjoy the day. When nan hurts I hurt and when she can relax and enjoy things a bit I tend to be able to do my work better and have less stress.
I especially appreciated hearing from Art today. he has been removing items that pidgeons have left on the roof at their home in Indio with a power washer, then he is going to install some torture devices that make landing painful for the lovely little birdies, flying rats is what many people see them as. Its been 110 or so in Indio so he has to work early and keep drinking fluids. He and Connie enjoy their time in Indio as they have many friends to chat with and lunch with while they are there. Sounds like a really nice place.
I only left the house to do local work today and pick up checks, yea I'll do that any day. But two addresses are so new that the GPS could not locate them and my map book didn't have them either. I'm working on a relocation report for a home of 4,000 sf, the rooms are huge and the home is very nice but the market for huge homes is very slow right now.
In response to urging by many of you I've tried to do some changing. I've had green beans, tomatoes, microwaved grillers without bread, salad, fruit today, feel good and I'm drinking water with a tiny bit of the lemon juice you all provided when you gave so many lemons to Nan last fall. She fell behind in using them so juiced them and we froze the juice. Now we are discovering that it makes a great drink. We are loving the tomatoes from Steve's garden and from Joyce and Glens garden, delicious eating.
The antibiotic nan is taking has to be given faithfully each 6 hours and needs to be set out from the frig 2 to 3 hours before to warm to room temperature. So we set the watch alarm during the night so we can keep on schedule. I'm happy to be up and give this helpful medicine. While the wound care nurse was here we decided to change the colostomy bag since Nan has to roll onto her sides for the work on her back and the bag can break when Nan rolls. To our delight we found it full. Another tiny step of progress.
Thank you for your emails today, I'm concerned about Roger and Carol, they are very busy, the weather is hot and they are losing clients who came to their area to be cooler than in Florida. I know God will watch over them but they are sure busy and work very hard.
So another day passes, this one a better and more hopeful one, we never know what to expect next so we just have to live it without great expectations. I am very thankful for my precious blue eyed lady to be feeling better tonight.

So we are sending our love to each of you and our gratitude.


tim and nan and marilyn


  • At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Barbie said…

    Hello you 3, Things sound better this evening. Now that the blog has been received I can go to bed and Gerry is headed that way since we read the blog together. Yes, what a difference a day makes...and all for the better for our dear Nan! Thank you dear Lord for letting her be a little more comfortable and send more blessings soon...Amen. Nighty Night. Love, Barbie

  • At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    Glad to hear the news. There were many positive changes since yesterday. How many days can you say that about.

    Great expectations indeed. How did the line go from Dickens. I didn't know if I would turn out to be the hero of my own life. Well you and Nan certainly have. So enjoy the days as they come knowing that you are already heroes! (must be nice)

    I see more full bags in your future. Ain't life grand?


  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Mustard Home,
    What a relief to read your blog today. PRAISE THE LORD! Have a wonderful Sabbath, all of you.

  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol. said…

    Hi Mustard Household,

    So good to read that things are better today. Praise the Lord for good medicine that does what it is supposed to do.

    We just returned from the Eye Dr and so far so good on the Cataract front One more Year and We take another look see. Seems as We approach the big 70 things are starting to come apart.

    Have a good weekend and We hope that You are able to get Nan out for some Sunshine it feels so good in the evening and early morning times.

    Love You,

    Bob & Carrol.

  • At 1:51 PM, Anonymous roger and carol said…

    Here it is on Friday afternoon and I'm just now getting to the blog. Good news today! Yes, I guess it was yesterday, but that's the way my days are going lately ~ about a day behind most of the time.

    Looks like the new antibiotic is doing its job and keeping the fever at bay. Also more flow in the bag which is very good! I hope today brings as much good news as yesterday.

    Roger spent the day "rewriting" his music. You remember how that goes. He does come up with some good stuff though.

    Have a blessed, restful Sabbath.

    Love and prayers ~ Carol

  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…


    Glad to hear the good report, praying that it continues. Just wanted to let you know a check will be in the mail tomorrow, from the Family Crisis fund, I know you can use it. Hoping folks keep helping and the checks get bigger.


  • At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Bob & Carrol. said…

    Hi Tim & Nan,

    We might be able to come over after lunch tomorrow for a brief visit if you are up to it.

    We will call from the "Garden" about 1:00 and see how You are doing.

    We are Praying that good things continue to happen for Nan.

    Love You,

    Bob & Carrol.


Post a Comment

<< Home