Nan Mustard's Recovery

This blog is a record of Erin (Nan) Mustard's recovery.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Leaving on a jet plane....

Well good bye Kauai. I'm in the waiting room at the airport and the plane boards in about 15 minutes. I was so concerned that I might miss the flight that I was the first one here. I spent this afternoon at the Marriott on the beach watching the waves and chatting on the phone. What a beautiful place with ocean in the distance and green mountains nearby. As I sat there the sun set which was very nice too.
Earlier in the day I helped Jason, Jo and Timothy get all the needed items they travel with to the airport for their flight. Their first leg of the trip touched down in Honolulu, then Maui and finally in Kona where 3 hours later they boarded an ATA flight. Somehow the airline managed to lose the car seat between here and Kona and it looked bad for awhile but at the last minute the baggage person came up to them carrying the missing car seat. They were so relieved to see it. I had arranged with David, Steve's brother to bring a car seat to them at the Oakland Airport so they could get Timothy home safely and then I would have driven down in the morning from SF to get it and return it to David. Well things all worked out after all, praise the Lord for that.
I have a window seat tonight which should help the trip go a little better. No matter what the seats are tiny and the leg space is created to cause blood clots for sure. But no matter what getting to come on this trip is wonderful. I have enjoyed every minute of it both in Kona and here in Kauai. We've had some rain, some sun, sun clouds and an overload of beauty everywhere. I've gotten to know my precious little grandchildren better than ever and also my enjoyable kids too. What a great way to start the new year. Yes I've had many many happy memories of Nan, even today in the Marriott, she once stayed there with a friend and loved it. Good memories are OK and I am functioning well I think.
Marina emailed me today regarding creating a book from the blog entries. She is a dear friend who not only has GIST but knows more about it than just about anyone else. She is a delight and has helped so many hundreds of people with their questions re: the disease. She helped us a lot over and over again. So what do you think? Would a book of some kind be a good idea? Do you think it would be helpful to people? Inspiring? I would appreciate hearing from you. We would need a medical writer to tie it together and make sure what was said was right and interesting as well. Its an exciting idea to me, a way we can allow nan's courage to inspire and help others perhaps.
Well I board soon and I'm so thankful to Steve for this trip. Once again he touched our lives in a positive manner, like he touched so many others over his life time. Thank you Steve, thank you Sylvia. This trip has been very helpful and wonderful.

I wish I could include some of the photos I have taken with my phone but so far I don't know how to get them out and into the blog, any ideas?

love to all

tim

4 Comments:

  • At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Use scotch tape to attach your pictures to the BLOG! I works for me. Whada u say Verne?

    I think the book idea has merit. You have and intimate view of the the procecess and have collected lots of valuable information that could really help others. Pursue the idea for sure.

    Congratulations on being a better grandpa and dad now than you were the last time I saw you. Good improvement. Going in the right direction and making a positive difference! It doesn't get any better than that, unless I get to take you to lunch. Chili's is nice I hear.

    See ya soon,

    Wes

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim ~
    Your trip to Hawaii sounds wonderful and you needed every minute of it with the kids and grandkids - what a blessing!!

    My vote for a book is YES - go for it. You have a great resource in the blog - things were documented daily - pull from all those entries!

    Yesterday was my first day back to work in almost two weeks. It was nice to have the time off and be with my kids and grandkids too. God is so good to us!!

    Hope your flight home was uneventful - tucked into the seat that fits like a glove - I really don't like those seats either, and when the person in front of you lays his seat back - you are really in there!!! But it is a quick way to get places.

    Happy New Year ~ Marilyn

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim,

    I think a book would be great, but such a feat.


    I am so happy that you are doing well and have enjoyed the Holiday Season.

    May you and your family continue to prosper and you grow healthy. One step at a time so they say.

    Take Care,

    Sue M

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tim,

    Hope this finds You Home Safe & Sound. You will long remember the good times that You enjoyed with Your Dear Ones this Past Holiday Season.

    We were finally able to get back to the Senior Center for Lunch Yesterday. These Colds are sure taking their time to leave. It has been a week and finally We are really feeling better. So many at the Center are suffering with the same thing. The Director told Us that attendance has been off by nearly 50%.

    Today we wait for the "Cable People" to make some adjustments on Our Service, What a waist of time the appointment time frame that they gave Us is 6:00 am / 7:00 pm. it is 8:15 now and I have not heard from them yet. I refuse to let them hold My whole Day Hostage just to make things WORSE which they usually manage to do. At least We got a 6 month Special Rate of $33.00 per month for the inconvenience that We have had to deal with.

    You are getting back just in time for what the Weather People are saying will be a big (Wind & Rain) Storm that is coming in from the North this evening and lasting till Saturday/ Sunday.

    Have a good rest of the week and Welcome back to California!!

    See You Soon,

    Bob & Carrol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home